LegacyGT.com

wiring harness

blue_obxt

So Crutchfield has a wiring harness that they claim is for the '05 outback:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pUJ0OprqCwB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&I=120708901

It does look like it's the same connector that's on the back of our headunits

(see photo in iPod install thread):

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936

I know we can't replace the head units, but a wiring harness seems like a good place to start for adding an amp...that way you could avoid cutting into the existing harness.

Now does anyone know where to find the female side of this connector?

That is the generic Subaru connector and it will work, for the audio. You want a Scosche reverse harness S03-R if memory serves. I posted up the numbers a while back so a search would find them for sure, or just use your favorite search engine with 'subaru reverse harness"

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the 2004 connector...the 2005's have an in-dash changer, so there's no connector.

But the 2004's did have normal headunits, so you could always replace the factory head unit with something that has an aux-input...

In case anyone cares, the 2005 harness uses one more pin on the wiring harness. The standard harness uses 13 of 14 possible pins, but the 2005 harness is now using the 14th pin as well. From the wiring diagrams in the service manual, it looks like this pin is carrying a second illumination signal. This makes sense, because the white and red lighting on the stereo is controlled separately (play with your headlights, dimmer switch, and trip computer light button and you'll get the idea).

Anyways, I'm going to add the necessary wire to the harness that I'm making. Just need to buy the right crimp-on pins...

This is in my 2005 outback, so I have to keep the headunit (adding an amp right now). I probably could just use one pin as you say, but I like the way the lighting works currently. I think I found the right pins on Digi-Key, so hopefully I will be able to add that extra pin.

• 2 months later...

The radios in all Subaru models (except the SVX) since 1993 have been using this same 14-pin connector, and using two wires for illumination/dimming.

Here's a pin-out table for the Legacy (with links to variations for the WRX and Forester).

Here's a thread I put together on NASIOC with information about the stock head units. It includes a lot of information that applies to Legacies, including the extra connectors on the back for external CD changers: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more

As blue_obxt pointed out, the after-market harnesses (including the reverse one by Scosche) only have 13 wires. If you're keeping your stock head unit, you need all 14 wires for the illumination to work. See links from the pin-out table for an alternative solution.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone just tried to wire a gauge between illum+ and illum- to see if that would work with the dimmer switch?

I was hoping that this would work. Otherwise I will have to try to build that elec. contraption mentioned above.

Has anyone just tried to wire a gauge between illum+ and illum- to see if that would work with the dimmer switch? ...
If the gauge provides separate wires for both sides of the bulb (or LED), then yes, that will probably work.

The problem is that a lot of gauges (so I'm told) connect one side of the bulb or LED to a common ground wire shared with the electronic "guts" of the gauge. In that case, you'll probably have to build that inverter circuit.

Some people have opened up their gauge, disconnected the bulb/LED from the internal common ground, and connected a new wire going to the outside -- that gave them isolated connections to both sides of the bulb/LED, so they were able to use the Subaru's illumination wires as-is.

Archived