LegacyGT.com

Do you beat your meat?

Guest LGT-NY

Guys... are we still talking about food here? :confused:

:lol:

your the one who wanted to know if we beat our meat! and why would you use a hammer anyways??

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my own mix of seasoning that I use as a rub on my meat and I put it in the fridge usually the day before and I take it out about 2 hours before hand to let it get to room temperature before I grill it.

Usually I'm cooking up Tri-tip so I do 8 minutes each side for about 45 minutes to an hour and pull it off when its medium rare and let it sit for another 10 minutes before I cut into it.

Actually - to get meat to be in best condition it shall have been hung for 40 degreedays (Celsius scale), but it won't do to hang it for one day in 40 degrees, rather four at 10 degrees or 10 at four degrees assuming that it's freshly slaughtered.

Meat that you get in the shop is hard to know the age of.

This is a rule of thumb, your mileage may vary.

"degree days" doesnt mean what you said

Degree days works like this. 65*F is the benchmark. If the avg temp today is 30*F that = 35 degree days.

Unless I'm not understanding something. I've just never heard "degree days' actually used as a unit of time

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

the best meat is hung for days after it's slaughtered to drain and age. Porterhouse is the best cut there is afaic let it sit out for a day then grill to perfection. :wub:

like on the counter? wtf? can that be sanitary? my cat would be all over that action..

I usually buy fillet when I make steak. All I do with it is put a few spices on it and put it on the grill. We've never tenderized it.

trademark the best thing to do is get rid of the cat. :p (I hate cats.)

Its true tho from what I hear "aging" a steak can tenderize it. I'm not sure I want to know the biological reason for that however..

btw if you're cooking steaks I promise I wont talk politics if you let me come over and have some. :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

like on the counter? wtf? can that be sanitary? my cat would be all over that action..

put it on a plate covered if needed where it can sit out all day at room temperature do not cook a steak straight out of the fridge let it sit out at least until room temperature. most meat is not aged properly anymore b/c of the cost of letting it sit you don't want to cook a steak that is bright red means it wasn't aged long enough when they just start to turn a little darker is best.

the cooking process will kill anything you may have to worry about. one more tip cook your steak until just before it's where you like it then take it off the grill and let it sit for a few minutes before serving this actually lets it finish cooking and the juices migrate though the meat.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Since I was specifying Celsius scale, where zero is the freezing point it works.

But when going for the Fahrenheit scale it won't work, and you have to use a different formula.

ok can you explain how it works your way? (PM maybe so we dont clutter this up)

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

LOL if you read my meat tactics it's exactly what bosco said.... Why does he always get all the credit :(

b/c your avatar is creepy? :lol:

you can have all the credit. this isn't a contest it's just sharing experience and if the boys learn something and great a better steak from it then i'm happy. grill on. :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

:lol:

now if I only had some friends to grill with I'd be all over the idea.

we were supposed to do that this weekend but I've been sick all week. :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived