LegacyGT.com

Need Downpipe advice...new LGT

zag300zx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably because it costs $0 and remains stock looking. I actually had a cobb catted dp ready to install in my garage but sold it and then gutted my stock.

True that an aftermarket piece will flow more, but not so much more as to make it all that cost effective. You free up most of the power by removing the cat right after the turbo. At that point you can spend $500 on a dp to realize 10-12 more whp if that makes sense.

For me I would rather spend $150-250 on a real catless dp, and be able to revert to stock without having to search for a used stock exhaust.

The 2009 WRX supposedly has "optimized" cats - something like 30% better flow. Would it be possible to use the 2009 WRX DP on a 2008 spec b (or LGT)? Generally the same engine, isn't it? I like the stealth sound of the idea. Or is the 2009 WRX DP bent too differently, etc. to use - anyone know?

One more thing, does anyone know what kind of gains can be expected from a gutted downpipe stage 2 tune? I've heard that stage 1 alone is a 20-30hp difference, would the gutted DP + stage 2 tune be +40-50hp over stock?

I made 277whp with a FMIC and, K&N intake, stg2, and opensource tune on 91 cali pump gas. Hitting 18.5 @2800rpms.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 3 years later...
I am super late in this thread, but I have an ABP 06 LGT with UEL Headers, a Catless Uppipe, Turbo XS RFL BOV, a Cobb Accessport, and a stock downpipe, I want to gut/bore it out, what do you think about gutting it? I know I can reflash the ECU with the Accessport, but any gains at all?

I am super late in this thread, but I have an ABP 06 LGT with UEL Headers, a Catless Uppipe, Turbo XS RFL BOV, a Cobb Accessport, and a stock downpipe, I want to gut/bore it out, what do you think about gutting it? I know I can reflash the ECU with the Accessport, but any gains at all?

When I installed my dp it improved my spool and fuel economy. From what I have seen gutted and cattless gives you about the same performance. Before you gut your dp get a spare. You may have to go back to stock one day. I can get you cattless do around $290 shipped. Bryan

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Why destroy your stock pipe when you can get this for $150 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-Exhaust-3-Bellmouth-Down-pipe-/180864695187?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1c603b93&vxp=mtr

It will flow better then your stock dp, and this way you can always convert back. Stock DP's are expensive to replace unless you can find a used one.

Archived