LegacyGT.com

LGT Vs. 1989 Mr2

Hey guys so this guy bet me that his Mr2 can beat my legacy gt in the quarter mile. As far as im concerned he only puts out barely 105 to the wheels and welded on a muffler to make himself look big and bad. He wanted to bet me pizza and $50. Im not a kinda guy that'll race but callin my legacy "slow" ain't gonna cut it with me... give me some input on this guys

That would be an AW11 MR2 (1st Generation) Some were supercharged, but not all...

Even the second gen turbos made about 200 hp or a bit more out of 2 liters.

The MR2 has lightness, low drag, and mid-engined traction on its's side. But I doubt it has a limited slip, or makes anywhere near as much power as a current Legacy GT. But there is probably at least 1000lbs difference in weight, if not more.

Somehow, I doubt it would beat a Legacy GT. If the Legacy is tuned, no contest. A matter of torque and traction. An MR2 could probably be a rocket if built to be so... but a 20 year old machine with a muffler welded on, trying to take on a 3 year turbo Subie... yeah... not likely.

The tiny little MR2 FEELS fast, and it legitimately does have good dynamics... But quarter mile? highly doubtful, if not down right impossible for an AW11 MR2 to touch a turbocharged Legacy with AWD and LSD rear diff.

I love mid engined cars, and would love an SW20 Turbo MR2. but delusions of grandeur are not becoming to anyone. :D

I have delt with mr2s alot. A couple kids in highschool had multiple. The 89 supercharded model would have a hard time brakign out of the 15s, with a good driver most run 15.0-15.3. I believe it was 93 and up they started using turbos and most driver cant break into the 14s with those but a good driver who knows how to drive it could turn a 14.7 at best. So i really wouldnt be worried especially if hes a N/A car and since its a 89 it is eitehr supercharged or N/A and even the supercharged version only runs 15s. But if your not a good driver you could esily run 15s or slower.

The pre 91 was 2200lbs and the 91+ was 2800. So they did get a weight gain but they still werent heavy. Plus the pre 91 was ugly as sin IMO. There was a huge mexican kid in our school, he had to be almost 400lbs and he drove a civic hatch and a 87 mr2. LOL i guess he was hopeing the lightweight of his cars would make up for his fat ass.

Hey guys so this guy bet me that his Mr2 can beat my legacy gt in the quarter mile. As far as im concerned he only puts out barely 105 to the wheels and welded on a muffler to make himself look big and bad. He wanted to bet me pizza and $50. Im not a kinda guy that'll race but callin my legacy "slow" ain't gonna cut it with me... give me some input on this guys

Only one way to find out.... Take it to the track, last thing you wanna do is hurt yourself or hurt someone else over $50 and a pizza. Oh yeah, you better split the pizza with me after the race. I doubt he will stand a chance but you never know, he might have something hidden under the hood. Not sure if it'll fit but maybe he has a 3S-GTE swap. Good luck and be responsible.

I've owned an '88 Supercharged MR2, and have a Legacy GT, so I can give some good input here.

The Supercharged MR2 (assuming this guy has to have the supercharged version or he's on crack) has a superior launching ability in comparison to most cars, due to the afore mentioned mid-engine configuration. Combined with this car's gearing, it WILL launch with an AWD Legacy GT and put down 0 to 60 foot (READ: Not 0-60mph!!) times comparable or even better than a well-driven Legacy GT.

However, the MR2 is a 1.6 liter, and quickly runs out of pull on the top end.

Mine had a gutted cat, high-flow muffler, K&N Cone, and a pulley that increased supercharger boost by like 2 psi.

With all that, my best time at the local 1/4 mile track was a 14.7.

At that same track many years later, I ran a 14.5 in my bone-stock '05 Legacy GT 5MT.

So you should win, particularly on the second half of the track, but this sounds like it could be an interesting race. I've NEVER seen another rear-wheel drive car that can launch like those MR2s.

--

I might add that if your '06 Legacy GT is an automatic, and he does have the supercharged MR2, this could be a close contest.

--

AW11 MR2 Coupe: 1984-1989

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Toyota_MR2_AW11_1986.jpg/800px-Toyota_MR2_AW11_1986.jpg

SW20 MR2 Coupe: 1990/1992, revised for 93-95, not sold in US, but sold in japan through 1999+

http://steer.ru/archives/29050608.jpg

ZZW30 MR2 Spyder convertible: 1999-2005, 2006/7 in Europe/Japan.

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/AkinaGhost840.jpg

The SW20 may have been heavier than the matchbox car that was the AW11, but that isn't exactly difficult.

The SW20 has more trunk space than AW11 and much more than ZZW30, and actually looks better, with a nicer interior design than both of those. Also, with a turbocharger, makes more power than both, and is still modest weight and light, and quite well balanced compared to a lot of cars.

It is sad that Toyota had such a car, and no longer have anything like it.

Toyota has gone down the drain. They built great cars with bullet proof motors. Too bad the 7th gen Celicas doesn't come with a 3sgte motor or even slap a 2jzgte motor in an IS300. Thats where I think they screwed up.

Back on Topic, on a straight road I think the LGT will win. Throw some corners in there, I'd give it to the Mr2.

I used to have an '87 MK1 MR2. It's definitely the funnest car I've ever owned and it was an adequate vehicle for autocrossing. It couldn't compete with the miatas but you still couldn't beat the bang for the buck.

I will say this much...make sure it's a stock MR2. I have a friend out here who had a 2nd gen turbo engine swap done....and modded...so it's putting out about 250hp. A stock LGT won't win that match up. :)

Archived