LegacyGT.com

Legacy Suspension Swap: What's Involved?

Was the lowered pic as high as it would go? I would like mine to be a bit higher than what you show in the lowered pic.

I have a Legacy coil over set up, it works fine but you do need to remove the bumpstops or get legacy ones (which I did) otherwise you bumpstop over everything. Here is a pic:

Stock:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackOverbrush003.jpg

Lowered:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackLowered029.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think we could use LGT coilovers on our cars without any problems. Especially if you want to drop it just 1-2 inches.

I mean better ones than the megans for the outback. Like Tein or any other brand.

Adidas above has K-sport LGT coilovers on his, and he said he had room to raise it. The back looks the same as mine and his front is lower. I had lowered mine on the megans about 1.5 inches and mine are the outback specific ones. I may try the tein one of these days

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackLowered004.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackLowered008.jpg

Here is mine on Megans for comparison

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/42604/2806512640074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am interested in getting race comp tarmac 1's on my 09 XT, which are for the legacy. So, if it is a direct swap and only have to replace the bump stops, I'm in. However, how involved are those to replace and how much are they. However, based on my calculations, going with Legacy coilovers would bring the car down like 3 inches, which seems like a lot for the stock suspension to handle. I know an alignment will be needed, but I am just worried about dropping it 3 inches.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here is what I have figured out, I think. I am getting (if it works out) Race comp tarmac 1's for the legacy, they come already built, with bump stops. So, it is a simple bolt on, as I will ask them to max out the ride height, which can adjust to between .25 to.50 inches higher than legacy stock. Aside from that, I will get an alignment afterwards and be done.

Another factor that affects ride height, is wheel and tire size. So, the Outback comes stock with 225/55 R17 , while the Legacy comes stock with 215/45 R17. So, doing some math, I get a height for the Outback with stock wheels/tires at 4.87 inches, while the Legacy with stock wheels/tires is 3.80. So, the Outback has an inch of extra ground clearance because of the bigger tire/wheel combination.

I think I read somewhere that the Legacy has 6.1 inches of ground clearance, while the Outback has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. If you take the inch difference between the stock wheels/tires, the difference in height is now 1.6 inches, instead of the stock 2.6 inches. So, now if you add the .25 - .50 inches of additional ride height the RCE tarmac one's allow (or any other coilover, which I a assume would be similar), we are looking at about 1.3 inches of drop.

So, can anyone else verify my findings, make sure I am not full of it. And given this info, I think 1.3 inches of drop is not too extreme, so doing Legacy coilovers is a definite possibility.

Say I finally get fed up with the crappy suspension on the outback. What is involved to swap in legacy suspension? Is it as simple as swapping springs/struts? Can I keep all other suspension components? (minus the sway bars, of course)

Search for the Bilstein BTS 5056J suspension kit. It's an Outback specific, raised ride height Gas strut/shock/springs suspension kit.

It's excellent! You will forget the Outback is a wagon. No more "sea sickness". The Japan market Bilstein kit drops the USA Outback models less than 1 inch. Or, equal with the Rest of World Outback ride heights.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I posted in your other thread as well, my only concern is i have heard the outback has a built in spring perch that raises the car a bit over the LGT. This should not hurt us but it something to be aware of. One thing to note is the spacer in the control arm mount...

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/43161/2002322200074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

adidasoutback, Legacy bumpstops with the legacy coilovers but still the original OBXT body spacers?

Hey andrew, sorry I hadn't replied in this thread ever but I didn't know it was still going!

The car is 100% stock besides the coils and the new bump stops. I have the spacers in there and all.

The rear end could go further down or up, I left it like it is because I like a slight rake and I carry bikes, kayaks and computers and people in my car and I dont want to rub or bump stop when fully loaded.

My wheels are also 18x8 and the tires are about another 1/2" in diamiter larger then stock wheels and tires, so I may look lower then I am due to the fuller wheel well.

It was very easy to do and I love the way it looks, ride however I dont like its to stiff for me so I am going toward nice set of shocks and springs and sways and be happy.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

BTW those things have a ton of room for upward movement or to lower them more.

• 5 months later...

Outback + stiff ride... two words I thought would never go together.

I just got the factory springs and struts from a LGT owner. So I will be doing this as well.

Anyone have the part number for the LGT rear bump stop?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

They Fit!

Summer I run 235/45/18 on 8.5" wide rim and they're tight against the spring perch but it works fine. Anything on a stock wheel should give you plenty of clearence

FYI, if you are gonna put LGT OEM strut assemblys in a OB, you cant run OB tire sizes or it will not fit under the spring perch of the LGT struts.

• 1 month later...

It looks like the 05 Legacy GT Wagon rear bump stop part number is: 20501AE00A

While the stock 09 OBXT bump stop part number is: 20501AE01A

So they might not be different. The 2.5GT Sedan part number looks to be 20501AG030, but every other bump stop has the 00A part number. I'm not sure which is right...

Depending on the return policy at Subaruparts.com, I might order all 3 and keep the shortest bumpstop.

I have Endura-Tech's new OB specific coilovers on my car, but the stock bumpstops are too long.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

They Fit!

Summer I run 235/45/18 on 8.5" wide rim and they're tight against the spring perch but it works fine. Anything on a stock wheel should give you plenty of clearence

wait, so... they fit or they don't fit? I'm absolutely dying to know.

I'm at my complete wit's end with my '05 OBXT suspension and I'm dying for an option that is not coilovers. I have the ability to source a LGT suspension, but I don't want to lay out the money (and the time working on it) to find that my 225/55 17's don't fit under it. I would love to know for sure!

I would also like to know...I have the same thing, and would like to know if i need to pick up lower profile tires before i swap the suspension

Also if anyone knows the part number for the specific rear bump stops that I need that would be awesome.

I'll have the bumpstop part number soon. I have all three part numbers I posted sitting at the shop, I just need to find the time to go over, pick the shortest one, and install it!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

For those who have swapped in the legacy struts/springs into an Outback, have you had any issues with the suspension geometry, ie, bad tire wear or poor handling?

I'd like to go with the JDM Bilsteins that keep the stock ride height, but the pricing I'm quoted for all parts and shipping is running up near the $3k mark, and I'm worried about the reliability of the MR coilovers.

Thanks in advance..

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to go with the JDM Bilsteins that keep the stock ride height, but the pricing I'm quoted for all parts and shipping is running up near the $3k mark, and I'm worried about the reliability of the MR coilovers.

Thanks in advance..

Hey Sweeper in Denver ~ Yes the import effort of the JDM Bilstein BTS kit for the Outback is work, but a quote of $3K USD is unrealistic.

With Friday's exchange rate the kit in USD is around $1,440.00. Okay lets round the BTS kit's cost up; $1,500.00 Let's say $500.00 for UPS international residential door service. That's $2K for the BTS kit delivered, not counting the $49.00 each front strut USA SpecB top hat cost. I'm saying the rear JDM Outback rear top hats and rubber's are not $900.00 I'm just saying.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I'm still looking for other avenues, but the kit alone is over $2k at Japanparts.com

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middlesmall=&maker=227&volkey=

If I recall, Japanparts.com had only begun to list the Bilstein BTS kit on their web-site around the time of my USA MY05 Outback XT install. My JDM Bilstein BTS fitment was generously assisted by fellow Lgt.com forum member Unclemat, Bilstein Japan and others; couldn’t have done this without them.

I too would have paused and even passed on the project had it cost $2k USD for the kit alone, sans the not insignificant shipping cost, JDM top hats, etc. However,,,, the BTS cost $1,250 USD or so at the time and a check of availablity as recent as yesterday has the BTS kit priced at $1,450 USD through the Japan based Bilstein retailer. $500 USD is some mark up Japanparts.com but hey, If there's a market for such Tiffany priced services more power to Japanparts!

Christ!! Every time I think of the hassles of sourcing the JDM Bilstein kit it makes me pissed at Bilstein North America for not stepping up. A group buy of say 10-15 or so Outback owner's,,, they step up and get counted for a BTS kit.

The BTS suspension kit really improves the Outback XT .... I grab for the keys now, its that fun to drive.

All the best,,,

Cheers, Mike

Bump for updates...spring is right around the corner and I need to order the bumpstop and judging by the thread sounds like the stock outback tires fit with leggy suspension.

Another question, has anyone used lowering springs on leggy suspension on an outback?

• 1 month later...
I'll have the bumpstop part number soon. I have all three part numbers I posted sitting at the shop, I just need to find the time to go over, pick the shortest one, and install it!

Bump for this bumpstop part number info. :)

• 5 weeks later...

What wheels/size tires are those?

Did you remove all the lifty bits from the Outback?

That looks incredible!! I think this is what I am going to do next .

Could you please give a little more info on exactly what parts you used and if you ran into any problems along the way? I want to start sourcing these parts and get it done this summer.

Legacy GT springs, struts, bump stops...???

I also would like to know what size rims and tires your running and how they fit, I hope I dont have to get rid of my 18s.

Archived