LegacyGT.com

08 iPod Adapter

SlickSpur

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone find an install guide for the ipod cable on a 2008 Legacy? I have a 2.5i limited (no steering controls, though I understand those are available too!). I use the aux-in every day for my ipod, so I am definitely interested in this but won't pay $300 to have it installed too. I've installed a lot of stereos. Andy

My guess would be plug it into the back of the Head Unit in the bus location and then plug it into your ipod. I haven't seen install directions, but I can't imagine it's more involved than that seeing as it draws it's power from the head unit itself.

Also, OFF TOPIC......do you have a Delorean?

To the guy saying the dealer would ship him one for $150, I got it for <$60 on eBay brand new.

Also, it comes with installation instructions which are reasonably accurate for the Legacy, even though not intended for them. The main difference is the metal bracket which should hold it in place doesn't work. I just used heavy duty 3M double sided tape and stuck it to the headunit itself.

FYI, you do need to drill a hole in the console compartment which was the most difficult step.

Anyone find an install guide for the ipod cable on a 2008 Legacy? I have a 2.5i limited (no steering controls, though I understand those are available too!). I use the aux-in every day for my ipod, so I am definitely interested in this but won't pay $300 to have it installed too. I've installed a lot of stereos. Andy

Subaru.com/ipod. open the PDF....

I posted the link days ago.

Granted it's for the Imprezza, but beyond the disassembly of the dash, it's all the same.

and i decided against buying one.

I'm putting a CarPC together. the ipod just became useless. ;)

and yes there IS one for the legacy.... read almost every post on page 1. released december.

again, Subaru.com/ipod. READ the

New applications coming in late December:

• 2007-09 Legacy and Outback without satellite radio
  • 2007-09 Tribeca without satellite radio & without rear seat entertainment (RSE)

the release of the official ipod kit is pretty much the whole reason behind this thread...

i bet the reason they have a specific kit for each car, someone pointed out NOT all our radios are made by the same manufacturer. sure the kit worked on yours... but that don't mean it will work on everyone's HU. the Imprezza model may work with 50% of the 08 HU's. but the other 50% may have a different frequency or code that won't work... things like that, unless same part number, are hit and miss.

if the black box has same part number through all models, then maybe it's just the strap being the main difference. so unless someone can verify the black box is the same on all kits, someone buying a different model could end up not working for them.

but like i said, i'm not getting one now. CarPC beats ipod anyday.

A different frequency? Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about? 90+% chance it's the exact same module, with a different bracket. Here's the install instructions for the Legacy and Tribeca: http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=261155

P/N H621SXA200

yeah i do... frequency means a lot of things... sight, hearing, radio waves, ELECTRICITY, etc... I think you read it as radio waves.

The Siruis controls (not the Subaru branded addon) for the Panasonic HU in the legacy WILL NOT work with the Clarion HU for the SAME year. same radio..... different manufacturer. why? each run their own codes, and run with different specifications with same result. or tolerable enough for subaru.

the different manufacturers *could* cause an issue between the years. the imprezza kit may work for an 08 legacy, but not an 09. work on a Legacy, but not Tribeca. work with the panasonic, but not clarion. or vice versa.

I said could... not saying it does, it's possible. Lets just let it go, i think we agree on the main point, rest is just details.

again, the blackbox could ALL be the exact same. and the only difference in the kits is the bracket. I think we agreed on this.

My guess would be plug it into the back of the Head Unit in the bus location and then plug it into your ipod. I haven't seen install directions, but I can't imagine it's more involved than that seeing as it draws it's power from the head unit itself.

Also, OFF TOPIC......do you have a Delorean?

Yes I do have a DeLorean...

OK so the install looks pretty easy. To those that have done it - is there enough cable coming out of the cubby so that ipod can rest on the center console (the retractable cover), or is it stuck in the cubby? Surely there are functions you might have to access on the ipod by holding the player and not accessible through the stereo.

If so... I WANT

Andy

^ Nope, and you can't access any of the controls on the player. When you plug it in, the screen will change to a Subaru logo, and your controls are all redirected.

Seriously? That's lame as hell. I have a Sony stereo at home that my ipod docks to, charges, and I can control playback functions with the stereo controls or the ipod wheel. All while it is docked... Why didn't they make it like that? To those that have this - is it as annoying as I am afraid it might be, or is navigation no problem? I guess I was hoping this setup would do this for me: 1. charge my ipod while it plays instead of using the cig lighter 2. give me a better audio connection or headroom than the aux in 3. let me control the ipod by the stereo controls or the ipod wheel at any time Guess it won't do all that. Andy

Yeah, Subaru's in-car electronics aren't really very good. So while in consumer electronics as a whole you're not asking for much, it's a huge bill for Subaru. I personally don't really 'navigate' my iPod, I just hit forward/back and that's about all I ever bother with, so it works great for me.

I'm using the integration kit intended for the Impreza and yes it's a bit convoluted navigating as it was designed for the controls of the Impreza stereo and there is a slight delay in pushing a button and have the iPod react. I usually just turn it on and hit shuffle and then skip a song here or there that I'm not in the mood for so this works fine. I am interested in seeing how this Legacy one will work.

Anybody have an Impreza and want to buy my iPod integration kit? ;):lol: :lol:

It's basically the same kit as the Impreza kit, but the bracket and mounting hardware and documentation are specifically for Legacy/Tribeca. There may be some updates inside the module, but the case is the same.

FWIW, I haven't used one OEM auto ipod interface implementation that doesn't lock out the controls, on the ipod, when hooked up to the car stereo.

I have a sony radio with ipod interface in the blazer, same thing. hook up the ipod, 100% locked out of the ipod. annoying.

At least with my touch i can have it on the PC and play music off from it, and mess with a game or something at the same time.

I guess i can see it for safety reasons while in a car... but someone needs to figure out how to override it. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
It's basically the same kit as the Impreza kit, but the bracket and mounting hardware and documentation are specifically for Legacy/Tribeca. There may be some updates inside the module, but the case is the same.

Do you have one WERM? I'd love to see the documentation/instruction manual for the Legacy specific version.

Bump for anyone that has installed this Legacy specific version and their impressions.

Cheers!

Will this work on a SpecB with NAVI ? I do NOT have SAT or XM radio installed, but that button selection is available.

If so, Is there an Ipod cable that has both the plug to go to the head unit as well as the RCA Video cable to plug into the NAV DVD unit ? This way you can watch IPOD movies with sound :)

Archived