LegacyGT.com

De-salting the underbody

Hi all,

Couldn't find much regarding this. Just wondering how soon most of you try to remove all the salt from the underbody and lower panels with all of the winter snow driving lately. Do you just take a hose and flush water under the car? Do you clean the salt off multiple times during the winter or do you just wait for one big spring cleanup at the end of the season?

We've just somewhat recovered from a major dump of snow and I'm thinking about flushing the undercarriage.

Thanks in advance.

I run through delta sonic fairly regularly. They have some wash that costs $18 initially and then you can go back through 2 more time within the next 2 weeks. So I basically do this twice a month. $36 a month for 6 washes in that month.

Thanks for the replies.

rtbrjason: I assume Delta Sonic is some kind of touchless car wash? We have something similar nearby called Washworld and I know that they have jetsprays that flush the underbody with water.

I did a basic hose down fo the bottom earlier today since the temperature is supposed to be above freezing for the next couple of days.

Where do you get the undercoating done? Is this something done by the dealership?

Thanks again.

that much clay baring just doesn't sound good for your paint in the long run. I would think you would be slowly sanding away at your clearcoat doing it that much.

Detailing clay bars do not take off clearcoat. There job is to lift contaminants off of the paint. This is a common misconception.

It is possible to buy abrasive body-shop clay bar at an auto body store, but who would do that other than a body shop pro?

Each clay is abrasive by definition. Just more or less so.

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure there is a warning like that on my Mothers Clay Bar packaging. I usually clay twice a year, once before winter and once for summer.

I run mine through the touch free just like someone above.

Depending on what you purchase, it offers an under body rinse, which sprays as you drive in. I just drive in crazy slow making sure it gets a good soaking.

that much clay baring just doesn't sound good for your paint in the long run. I would think you would be slowly sanding away at your clearcoat doing it that much.

I live in the downtown core with lots of streetcar tracks. Last spring I had little rust spots about the size of a pen tip all over the lower half of my car. A detailer told me it is due to the silica sand stuff that the street cars drop on the tracks for traction (it gets embedded in the paint and causes the spots). A clay bar, some polish and wax and problem solved. This year I thought I'd stay on top of it and do a clay bar treatment mid winter. Not sure but I doubt I'm doing any damage?!

Just thought I'd mention what I was told when I had my car undercoated at Krown. The guy asked me if I ever used a touchless wash with the underbody spray. Luckily, I said No. Apparently its the worst thing you can do to a car in his opinion. His explanation was that it washes off the undercoating protection and drives the salt into areas it would otherwise not. As well, moist salt activates the rusting process quicker. I'm no expert on the subject, but thought I'd pass on what this guy has learned after hundreds of undercoating jobs.

Washing the underbody is not recommended by any car expert I know. Yearly application of a good quality undercoating is. I try to wash the car every week and do a clay bar cleaning at least a couple of times per winter. I hate winter.

Why would it not be recommended? If they are using salt I try to take it through the touchless wash with under body spray.

If you use a fine or medium grade clay you could clay everyday if you wanted and not hurt the paint. For one, you're using a clay lube with it. (Think of how oil lubes your engine. The metal parts don't rub eachother.) Second, it's not sand paper.

Just thought I'd mention what I was told when I had my car undercoated at Krown. The guy asked me if I ever used a touchless wash with the underbody spray. Luckily, I said No. Apparently its the worst thing you can do to a car in his opinion. His explanation was that it washes off the undercoating protection and drives the salt into areas it would otherwise not. As well, moist salt activates the rusting process quicker. I'm no expert on the subject, but thought I'd pass on what this guy has learned after hundreds of undercoating jobs.

Personally I'm not a fan of undercoating. I've seen more issues created by using it than are prevented. The undercoating practically never adheres well, and ends up with pockets, that end up trapping mud, salt, water an other nastiness right against the metal, accelerating corrosion. Keep the undercarriage free of this, and rinse it down regularly is my theory.

As such, too try to take the cars (that have been out in the muck) through a good touchless car wash with underbody sprayers after a snow event. I think there is a definite benefit to rinsing the undercarriage regularly in the winter, particularly in areas that use salt on the roads. I also belive in rinsing off under the hood regularly as well, just don't do either without driving the car a bit afterward to dry it out, otherwise you could have issues with ice formation if the temperatures are below freezing.

If you really want to make sure you get the salt off, try a product like Salt-A-Way. It was really made for the marine industry, and we use to use it on our boat years ago. it works very well to remove slat deposits and formations, much better than soap and water, and it's easy to use. Combine that with one of those curved under body spray wands to make it an easy job..

Personally I'm not a fan of undercoating. I've seen more issues created by using it than are prevented. The undercoating practically never adheres well, and ends up with pockets, that end up trapping mud, salt, water an other nastiness right against the metal, accelerating corrosion. Keep the undercarriage free of this, and rinse it down regularly is my theory.

As such, too try to take the cars (that have been out in the muck) through a good touchless car wash with underbody sprayers after a snow event. I think there is a definite benefit to rinsing the undercarriage regularly in the winter, particularly in areas that use salt on the roads. I also belive in rinsing off under the hood regularly as well, just don't do either without driving the car a bit afterward to dry it out, otherwise you could have issues with ice formation if the temperatures are below freezing.

If you really want to make sure you get the salt off, try a product like Salt-A-Way. It was really made for the marine industry, and we use to use it on our boat years ago. it works very well to remove slat deposits and formations, much better than soap and water, and it's easy to use. Combine that with one of those curved under body spray wands to make it an easy job..

I guess we're all entitled to an opinion, but keep in mind there are many types of undercoatings. Some create a sort of impermeable layer...sort of like a crust, which as you mentioned does trap salt, water, etc and ends up accelerating corrosion. The other type is more of an oil-like substance and sticks to/penetrates the metal and protects against corrosion. Until my Legacy I've always had my cars undercoated with an oil/graphite mixture from a local shop with great results.

Take two pieces of steel outside and cover them with a salt/water mixture. Bring them into your garage and spray one with oil and let me know which one rusts more.

Careful with manual car washes... many recycle water (auto ones probably too, but I would never take my car to one) So you're doing nice salty water wash :eek:

Careful with manual car washes... many recycle water (auto ones probably too, but I would never take my car to one) So you're doing nice salty water wash :eek:

I believe all car washes recycle their water. I've always wondered whether they remove the salt. I guess I will have to do a taste test on my next trip.:eek:

Yeah,

Unclemat you're right. But what other choice do I have in Northern Utah in the middle of Winter!. When it comes warmer I will do it with a hose and nice sprayer at home!

I really hate going to the car wash, but in the Winter time whats a guy to do!

Plus some new Car Washes round here are going back to the brushes which will leaves swirl marks in the paint after so many washes(Its a rubber type material).

But yeah I washed the car the other day and there is still a little salt there.

Last time I washed my 05 was early Nov 08. It will get washed again may be some day in late Mar 09. The underbody will get washed when I drive through big puddles in the April rains. Pretty much what I do every winter.

Last nights news said we have had 18 snow storms so far this winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update, my cars getting washed now. It 29F and it raining. I drove home from work as it was changing over from snow to rain. Looks nice and black where I brushed the snow off before I left the parking lot.

Oh, I ripped off a piece of that plastic door/panel that gives access to the oil filter yesterday. Then stuck the rest of it up inside the hole. It's been hanging down for about 3 weeks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I go through touchless washes all of the time. Not all of them recycle the water. The ones that do use filtration systems so you don't have to worry about anything.

I didn't think they recycled the water. When I do the manual washes the water refreezes when I rinse the car off, that is if its cold enough (always is).

I hate driving in the aftermath of a snowstorm. The watery salt drives me nuts when i see it on my cars. All I can think of is the old crest commercial of cavity creeps attacking my car with rust.:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Y_vEKbZhU]YouTube - Crest Gel Toothpaste Cavity Creeps Commercial[/ame]

Archived