LegacyGT.com

RIP To My Legacy

Sorry to hear about your Leggy, that really sucks :(

If I were you I think I'd go for the new engine. You have a nice car, and if nothing else is wrong with it, keep it! A new engine is both cheaper than a new car, and well... new.

I think even if the engine in my old '96 went I'd go for a new/used engine.

I seem to recall a link between engine (or maybe turbo) failures and Royal Purple oil...

Paging Opie!

There is always a raging debate at nasioc about M1 causing connecting rod bearing failures. Even some service dept employees have posted that they advise their customers not to use M1.

Sorry about your misfortune. 74k is way too few miles for major engine work if the car has been properly maintained. Unfortunately you are out of waranty. Still, a new engine is MUCH cheaper than a new car. Try to source a reputable Subie shop in your area, which may or may not be the dealer. Get a few quotes.

If I was going to get a new car in your price range, I would get something brand new, since dealers have excess inventory and some great deals should be possible right now. If it was me, I would look at the WRX, the Mazda 3 and the Honda Civic Si, all are great driving cars that are solid and very affordable.

Subaru is running one hell of a deal on the 2.5i's. I was in there a week ago and for $2400 down you got a 2.5i Special Edition for $129 a month for 24 months. 10k miles/year. The car was nice too with sunroof, power seats, and harmon stereo. Take a look at that. You might like it. Only thing I didn't like about it when I test drove it was the single CD and the manual air/heat controls.

• 2 weeks later...
So I have a 2005 2.5i, 5MT. It has just reached 74,000 miles. And I have to sell it because the engine is about to blow up. :( Honestly, I'm pretty heartbroken. I drove the car off the lot brand new, and now 3 years later it has come to this. Supposedly, here's the problem.

My rod bearing(s) went bad. I don't know how this happened, or how widespread this problem is, but this just doesn't seem right. I have babied my car, I am a car detailer. The dealership who looked at it (RK Subaru, Va Beach) said at this point, the only option would be to replace the whole engine, and that only oil deprivation would have caused the rod bearings to go bad. I made sure to always change the oil. The longest I might have ever gone without changing oil was 5,000 miles, and the past 25,000 miles or so I have done my own oil changes. I used Royal Purple 5W-30, and always changed the oil filter. I am confident in my oil changing ability. Also, consider our fellow member Pawlwawl 06 has almost the exact same car I do. Regal Blue, 06 2.5i 5MT. Only 47,000 miles on it. He was complaining of a knock in his engine too, and since we are local and have met up before, we went to the dealership together today. And guess what? The dude at the dealership said his rod bearings are going too. Since he's under 60,000 miles, it is possible he can get his fixed under warranty. I passed that mark 14,000 miles ago. Not an option for me. Is this a coincidence? Hmm.....

I wondered if at any point I had an unkown oil leak, but I've never been able to find one. I've been running the car with this problem now for about 2 months. I knew what the problem was, I had a mechanic look at it the second I heard the knock. But as most of you know, the only way to get to the rod bearings in our engines are by taking the engine out and pulling apart the block. By the time things would've been all done, it would have been thousands of dollars on a car not worth doing it for. That did it for me. I love my Legacy to death, but I'm not spending the money to get it fixed. No way. I am going to sell it, probably to Carmax. They appraised it at 3,500. That is a far cry from the 7,000 I was hoping it would get whenever I traded it in. But with the engine the way it is now, that's the best I'm getting for it.

This really sucks, because I love these forums and everybody tries to help everybody whenever possible. It also sucks because I put so much work and effort into this car. It was honestly my pride and joy. It may only be a 2.5i, but it was a manual and I had a lot of fun driving it. And it looked classy, it looked right - the only difference from the GT being the hood scoop. One of the best designs for a car Subaru has come out with.

In the next week, this car will be gone and I will be getting a new one. My budget is about 17-19K. What kind of car though, is the question. I really want to get a WRX with less than 30,000 miles on it. I think I can find one in my price range, and while this is at the top of my list, I'm open to other vehicles I havn't really though of yet. There are also Legacy GT's to be had of course, but they'd also have to be used. Basically my search for a new car starts today. Any suggestions? I ask this question to all of you who have an idea.

I guess I made this thread for 3 reasons -

1. To bring attention to the problem of rod bearings burning up and seeing if this is a widespread problem.

2. To get suggestions for cars on my budget of 17-19K.

3. And to pay homage to Maxine, as I have named her.

RK DUDE ! I bought mine from RK my College friend is the corp accountant for RK ( Mike) I bought mine from Brett Lloyd cool guy I got a 08 2.5i it actually came from Stolhman in Tysons Corner but w/e yeah that blows you baked the rod bearings well the rod bearings failed so soon i hear or ppl changing their oil when they remember to and still getting past 100K no problem. I run full Synth. Mobile 1 and will continue to run it for the life of the car. But i never planned on keeping my 08 2.5i long ( 2yrs max or 36Kmile) the 08 LGTs are droping in price so i will more than likely trade my 08 2.5i for a 08 LGT exactly like it then keep that for the long haul

Subaru is running one hell of a deal on the 2.5i's. I was in there a week ago and for $2400 down you got a 2.5i Special Edition for $129 a month for 24 months. 10k miles/year. The car was nice too with sunroof, power seats, and harmon stereo. Take a look at that. You might like it. Only thing I didn't like about it when I test drove it was the single CD and the manual air/heat controls.

yeah but leases blow but that is a cheap short term solution but i drive too much for a lease ( 20K a year) i guess you could say im tryna work the bugs out faster

Archived