LegacyGT.com

Dealer wants $790 for 2 front wheel bearings, hah. Where can I get them?

So I took my LGT in to the dealer to make sure everything is good after blowing out 2 tires on a massive pothole. I was pretty sure I have had 1 bad front wheel bearing for a while, but I had them check it out to make sure. They said both front wheel bearings are bad. The quoted me $290 for parts and $500 for labor. Thats pretty crappy since I only have 49k miles. But yea, I do know that it is a known issue, so I was almost expecting it.

Anyway, I plan to change the wheel bearings out myself. Where can I get OEM wheel bearings from? I thought I saw them somewhere recently for like $95 each.

There is a TSB on this. letters went out from SOA regarding this. you shouldn't have to pay for squat. it is covered.

stealership is trying to screw you.

Edit: this is why I hate dealers. don't know how to do their jobs:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87508&highlight=TSB+wheel+bearings

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Aren't those suppose to be covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty? They're known to go bad on the 05 Legacy, so I would assume that may also play into your favor.

Yes, they are covered under the 5/60k. However, if the damage is not a manufacturer defect, it is not covered.

There is a TSB on this. letters went out from SOA regarding this. you shouldn't have to pay for squat. it is covered.

stealership is trying to screw you.

Edit: this is why I hate dealers. don't know how to do their jobs:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87508&highlight=TSB+wheel+bearings

This one does and btw, they are for the rears only, not the front's, which the OP is having issues with.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yes, they are covered under the 5/60k. However, if the damage is not a manufacturer defect, it is not covered.

What determines whether or not it is a manufacturer's defect? I am assuming that they could relate the left one (side I hit the pothole on) to the pothole, but what about the right one?

I knew that the rears were warrantied for 8 years/100k miles. I didn't think the fronts were covered at all.

What determines whether or not it is a manufacturer's defect? I am assuming that they could relate the left one (side I hit the pothole on) to the pothole, but what about the right one?

I knew that the rears were warrantied for 8 years/100k miles. I didn't think the fronts were covered at all.

It all depends on what is causing the problem. If they are noisey, scored, etc due to poor lubrication, manufacturing, etc that is a defect. If they are damaged due to the blowout, they are not. That is something the technician has to show before they can say it is or isn't warranty.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Just go to a different dealership & play dumb..

"Uhhh, I think there's something wrong with the front wheels.. My friend told me to have the bearings or something checked.. I was told my warrenty would cover it.."

Just go to a different dealership & play dumb..

"Uhhh, I think there's something wrong with the front wheels.. My friend told me to have the bearings or something checked.. I was told my warrenty would cover it.."

+1

Playing dumb FTW!

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

So I took my LGT in to the dealer to make sure everything is good after blowing out 2 tires on a massive pothole. I was pretty sure I have had 1 bad front wheel bearing for a while, but I had them check it out to make sure. They said both front wheel bearings are bad. The quoted me $290 for parts and $500 for labor. Thats pretty crappy since I only have 49k miles. But yea, I do know that it is a known issue, so I was almost expecting it.

Anyway, I plan to change the wheel bearings out myself. Where can I get OEM wheel bearings from? I thought I saw them somewhere recently for like $95 each.

PM KINGOFPARTS (Jeremy) he can do a little better than $95 a piece.

So you guys think I might be able to have these done under warranty? It would save me $200 and some time.

PM KINGOFPARTS (Jeremy) he can do a little better than $95 a piece.

I will definitely contact him if I need them.

I think I paid about $400 for mine.

Is that $400 parts and labor? And that can't be from the dealer, right?

I don't see any reason you should have to pay for this considering your under warranty..

You could even call your local municipal & complain about the pothole. It's not uncommon for them to pay for damaged rims & other repairs..

This one does and btw, they are for the rears only, not the front's, which the OP is having issues with.

I received a letter in the mail they are now warrantied until 100000

I received a letter in the mail they are now warrantied until 100000

Yes. I already discussed that. The rear's not the front are covered 8/100k if they are defective.

Archived