LegacyGT.com

Cargo cap. in an Impreza 5-Door vs Legacy Sedan

So the GF and I recently did a stint up in the midwest during December. For 2.5 weeks we were driving around the midwest visiting family. My LGT was the car we drove up (due to the AWD, and more cargo space than her Mazda3).We were able to make everything fit, but GD was it SUPER-tight. My dog was along for the ride as well. Trunk was full, as we the area behind the driver seat. So the dog had the other 2/3rds of the rear seat (not including the floor, which was filled with presents). Long story short, we would now like something with a bit more cargo space, without going too crazy.

While on the trip we got a oil change at Bob Rohrman's Subaru of Lafayette (poor experience, btw), but the GF took notice of the 2009 WRX 5-door there. We both like the 5-door actually, and have heard that it has increased cargo.

In short: Have any of you moved from a Legacy sedan to an impreza hatch and have experienced a greater amount of usable space for cargo? Online we're seeing that the Legacy sedan has about 11 Cubic feet where the WRX has 19 cubic feet (with rear seats up). Our two big suitcases took up 90% of the trunk in my legacy, I'm curious if things would be better in the WRX, since they could probably stand upright and we could fold down the smaller rear set, to clear up some extra room.

Obviously a Forester XT would definitely have plenty of cargo room for us, and we are considering that too, but I'd rather stick with a car (WRX) than go to an SUV if the WRX will still fit my needs. I'd like to stay w/ Subaru for now, rather than switch brands.

Any of you that used to have a legacy sedan and now have a WRX 5-door, I am very curious of your opinions on your WRX. I'm going to go test drive this weekend I think.

Thanks guys and gals!

EDIT: Found this pic, but it doesnt help me much.

cargo.jpg.30af3f374f064c135ea4c6252f312cd4.jpg

Go Cardinals!

You can always count on that the wagon type like the Impreza 5-door is more flexible when loading.

The shape of what you load is often more important than the actual volume. I'm a wagon person myself and like the flexibility offered by a wagon. I have had a sedan once and it was really a sucker when it came to loading things.

453747.png

You can always count on that the wagon type like the Impreza 5-door is more flexible when loading.

The shape of what you load is often more important than the actual volume. I'm a wagon person myself and like the flexibility offered by a wagon. I have had a sedan once and it was really a sucker when it came to loading things.

Thats exactly it. With two big suitcases in the Legacy trunk, its pretty much full. If I could stand them upright in the rear hatch of a 5-door WRX, that would clear up a bunch of room to put other things in.

Aaron, the Forester will be a car you want. It got room but does nto feel SUV like. Seriously - I had doubts too but the car is a wonder.

Thanks buddy. Yeah I was kind of thinking that might be the case as well. I'm definitely going to have to drive both.

My concern with the WRX hatch, is that I will be missing out on leather. I'm really not crazy about cloth, so the Forester XT Limited looks nice, because I can get leather. Forester has been killing other small SUVs in reviews too. Consumer reports rated it top notch even.

Still my heart is in cars, I feel like the Forester may be a bit too big for my car-mentality, but I will definitely drive it and give it a fair shake. If it feels more like a car to me, than it will probably be the right vehicle for me.

Go Cardinals!

Thats exactly it. With two big suitcases in the Legacy trunk, its pretty much full. If I could stand them upright in the rear hatch of a 5-door WRX, that would clear up a bunch of room to put other things in.

Thanks buddy. Yeah I was kind of thinking that might be the case as well. I'm definitely going to have to drive both.

My concern with the WRX hatch, is that I will be missing out on leather. I'm really not crazy about cloth, so the Forester XT Limited looks nice, because I can get leather. Forester has been killing other small SUVs in reviews too. Consumer reports rated it top notch even.

Still my heart is in cars, I feel like the Forester may be a bit too big for my car-mentality, but I will definitely drive it and give it a fair shake. If it feels more like a car to me, than it will probably be the right vehicle for me.

EDIT: After seeing pics of the sports grille and the underspoiler for the new Forester, I am much more interested. I already liked the Forester re-stylings, but wasnt a huge fan of the front grill or the two-tone bumper. This fixes both those things, and the pic is in my fav color, SWP :)

E2410SC000_lg.jpg.1a3d915c55ccd136fd97f096f9b15cd6.jpg

Go Cardinals!

Newer Legacy seadans have fold down back seats if you don't mind luggage in the passenger compartment

Couldn't you swap out the standard cloth impreza seats with STI leather ones?

Too bad they don't make the LGT wagon anymore;):lol::mad:

Newer Legacy seadans have fold down back seats if you don't mind luggage in the passenger compartment

Couldn't you swap out the standard cloth impreza seats with STI leather ones?

Too bad they don't make the LGT wagon anymore;):lol::mad:

The split fold would help a little bit, but still it isnt the same amount of space as the impreza 5-door.

Could swap the seats, but I imagine that would be very expensive.

I'm not a big fan of the styling of the OB/legacy wagon (no offense, just my personal taste), or I would look at that w/ a trade.

Go Cardinals!

Interior swaps aren't that bad, if you buy second hand. Alot, of STI's get turned into race cars and you can get entire interiors for pretty good prices. Although, I can't comment on what new STI interiors run.

Archived