LegacyGT.com

cv boot replacement

teamdarkstyle

i was just changing the oil my gt and when i was under there i notice grease all over the cat. turns out the cv boot was riped in half.

i need to get it fix before i mess the hole thing up.

subaru wants $300 to $400 to just replace the boot $1200 to 1500 for the hole axel.

i have never done anything like that before and i know i dont have some of the tool to do it.

if anyone has done it before and is looking to make some money on the side

let me know i dont wanna send it to west houston i hate the service lady she is a bitch. she never does what i wanted her to do.

for just the boot!?!?!? My bill was $175 from subaru...I called in and had it covered (dealership denied warranty coverage) i was still under warranty

point being..what are they charging $300-400 for???

hey team I had the same thing happen to me while i was driving to Mississippi. I ended just buying an axle and replacing it myself on base while I was in Lackland (thats the easiest way but more expensive the part) You can do the boot make sure the axle isnt clicking before you replace otherwise your gonna waste money on replacing that boot and then need to swap the whole thing anyways. Its pretty simple to replace the boot just make sure you get all the dirt out of the bearings before you replace parts should only cost you about 70 bux. Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

How much for the boot?

Also I have the added security warranty... which so far has not covered anything.

According to the info I have in Power Train part 3 under front wheel dive the following is covered, "final drive housing, all internal parts, axle shafts, constant veolocity joints and boots, front hub bearings, double offset joints, seals and gaskets."

Does that cover the ripped inner CV Boot?

Also is there a walkthrough on doing this labor?

If it isn't too involved I might have to replace it myself.

I had a ripped boot. The dealer wanted $54 for the boot , clamps , and grease. I found a local shop that had brand new axles for $75. So I bought it and I'm going to have my old one rebuilt as a spare. It took about 20 minutes to do. I thing the heat from my aftermarket 3"DP made the boot fail so soon.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

How much for the boot?

Also I have the added security warranty... which so far has not covered anything.

According to the info I have in Power Train part 3 under front wheel dive the following is covered, "final drive housing, all internal parts, axle shafts, constant veolocity joints and boots, front hub bearings, double offset joints, seals and gaskets."

Does that cover the ripped inner CV Boot?

Also is there a walkthrough on doing this labor?

If it isn't too involved I might have to replace it myself.

The CV boot is covered under added security. The boot and grease is about $50 without labor costs. When we change CV boots, which is very very common on subies, we can usually reuse the clamps. The most important part of doing this job is to make sure all the parts under the boot are perfectly clean before putting everything back together.

I had a ripped boot. The dealer wanted $54 for the boot , clamps , and grease. I found a local shop that had brand new axles for $75. So I bought it and I'm going to have my old one rebuilt as a spare. It took about 20 minutes to do. I thing the heat from my aftermarket 3"DP made the boot fail so soon.

It only took you 20 minutes to change?

I find that hard to believe since the labor charge is usually like 1-1.5 hours for that job.

If it is simple to do I would almost do it myself.

But if it is true that it is covered under the added security then no money out of my pocket and I'll get it done!! YEAH~!

I find that hard to believe since the labor charge is usually like 1-1.5 hours for that job.

But if it is true that it is covered under the added security then no money out of my pocket and I'll get it done!! YEAH~!

How long should it take to take off the axle nut and the Lower control arm bolt? Why is it so hard to believe? I've built engines and modded all kinds of cars. I put a ford 2.8 liter V6 in a '70 VW Bug when I was 17yrs old. It's not hard to do at all. You really think they don't pad your bill at the dealership?:spin: You should really learn how to work on your own car.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The job is usually quite easy, but there is the occasional to frequent seized axle in spindle or ball joint in upright(depending on the rust factor usually). The dealer does charge 1.5 hours to cover these instances, and that is how a technician makes money. If they can complete the job quicker than the time paid, then there is opportunity to make more money.

i only paid $35 fr the boot, grease and the clamps i forgot to get the axel nut but that is on like $4.

it only took about 45min but it was the first time i did it i think i could do it in about 20min next time

you should look at both inner boot cause you have to get an alignment after you do one so is you can do both at the same time you wont have to get a alignment twice.

im going to do the driver side this weekend and then go get the alignment done. good luck if you do try it

i went and got a Chilton repair book that help alot

I paid the deducatable.

The boot is about a $50 item if you buy it online at a cheap subaru parts store.

So if you want to get technical I paid them $50 for a boot and $50 to take the axle off, remove old boot, clean out axle area of any dirt or debris, install new grease, install new boot and any other clamps or nuts that were required.

Put it all back together.

All without gettng my hands dirty.

I could have ordered the boot. Waited for it to arrive or bought it at the dealer for more money.

Then saved the 30-50 bucks and spent some time under my car getting very greasy.

Get a sore back for sitting on the cold concrete.

Go back to the storage place because I just moved and forgot my car lift and jack stands are in storage.

Come back home and start the job after the car cooled down a little.

Instead, I had the dealer do the entire job.

I went and did some work making much more money than I ever would have saved.

ANd picked up the car at the end of the day.

problem solved....

I paid the deducatable.

The boot is about a $50 item if you buy it online at a cheap subaru parts store.

So if you want to get technical I paid them $50 for a boot and $50 to take the axle off, remove old boot, clean out axle area of any dirt or debris, install new grease, install new boot and any other clamps or nuts that were required.

Put it all back together.

All without gettng my hands dirty.

I could have ordered the boot. Waited for it to arrive or bought it at the dealer for more money.

Then saved the 30-50 bucks and spent some time under my car getting very greasy.

Get a sore back for sitting on the cold concrete.

Go back to the storage place because I just moved and forgot my car lift and jack stands are in storage.

Come back home and start the job after the car cooled down a little.

Instead, I had the dealer do the entire job.

I went and did some work making much more money than I ever would have saved.

ANd picked up the car at the end of the day.

problem solved....

I had a really smart a$$ answer but,......

I'm glad you are happy. Good luck;)

yes you do need a alignment you haveto remove the tie rod nuckel and every shop i talked to siad you should get one done and the wear on my tire since i have replace the boot tells me that they were right

IF you just remove the control arm knuckel you don't.

yes you do need a alignment you haveto remove the tie rod nuckel and every shop i talked to siad you should get one done and the wear on my tire since i have replace the boot tells me that they were right

Actually, all you hafta do is pop the ball joint out and you don't hafta worry about any alignment angles changing at all

And believe me the dealer would have mentioned the need for an alignment if I needed one. Anything to add more cost to my bill .... they would not forget.

They would have come up with some reason why the alignment is not covered under warranty.

ITSME... what was your smart A$$ comment?

Just curious?

Yes I'm happy.

But now that I think about it.

My car ha 57k miles.

Three years old....

and I've never had an alignment! :(

UH OH!!!!!!

It isn't in the maint. schedule so I guess I forgot...

plus the fact that it has driven true and straight sinec day one....

guess it was a GOOD TIGHT alignment from the factory.

Archived