LegacyGT.com

Belt problem?

Ok so this is unlike anything I've been able to find on the Forums. When I'm driving my 05 LGT and I run through the gears, as soon as my turbo kicks in (2700-3000rpm), it sounds like I have a belt slip and rub. Now my initial solution ,offered by a good friend, was to adjust the tension. I adjusted tension on both the belts in the front. I've tightened them to all degrees (it seems) and can't solve this slip/rub. I am frustrated and baffled for now. The rub only occurs when I'm driving at quicker acceleration and never on idle. You should know that New Clutch and Flywheel were just installed. Any help would be awesome! Thanks everyone!

:confused: - Buzzkill in PA

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Thanks guys! I don't get the rub when I'm in neutral or just reving. I'm fairly certain it's not the turbo; if it is, I might be in trouble. I can hear the turbo has a separate zing to it. The sound is more prevalent on the driver's side. When I'm in the passenger seat, I can still hear it but it's not as loud/noticeable. If I'm easy on the accelerator, it won't make any noise, in fact, in 1st and 2nd, it usually doesn't happen unless I floor it, but in 3rd and successive gears, it "rubs" at normal acceleration. I wish I could think of something comparable to help you guys get a better idea for the sound I'm hearing. It just sounds like the belt material is slipping and rubbing againt the pulley. It's not as high pitched as, say, a power steering squeal. Another key detail may be that the pitch doesn't change with greater speed. It stays at a fairly constant pitch, which leads me to believe that I can rule out the turbo for now. Thanks again for your help guys!

• 6 months later...

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue with my 05 lgt and have tried a few things myself. Does/did yours sound almost like you were slowly letting air out of a balloon? My thoughts were that maybe the pressurized air was getting forced out through one of the connections between the intercooler and the actual intake. I checked my connections ( i have a perrin TMIC) and one of the clamps coming out of the intercooler had slipped a bit on the hose, possible causing this to allow air to squeeze out under the load of the rpm raising and the turbo building boost. I re-positioned the clamp and then tightened it and so far so good. Let me know if this works for you or if you found a different cause/solution altogether.

thanks

I wouldn't say I "figured it out" persay, however, it is no longer an issue. Your thoughts on the intercooler junction would be accurate. Mine was loose as well on my stock IC, but I wouldn't discover that until several months after the sound ceased, when I replaced my DP. Anywho, the way I fixed the problem was by running my car very hard; pedal to the floor on back-country, winding roads. The sound left as mysteriously as it arrived. I did not check my IC junctions so for all I know, it was the IC the whole time and I just did a temp fix by go-carting around the country. Sounds like you've solved it. Let me know if the sound returns.

Archived