LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy

2010 Legacy Concept  

81 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 Legacy Concept

• Dislike
    • Don't Care

Not bad, just don't forget that it is a 'concept' and likely will look quite a bit different once in production.

I agree, the CVT is not a 'bad' thing when you consider that it can keep the engine in the peak HP or Torque RPM when accellerating...sweet thing for the boosted crowd! Maybe Subaru can talk with the folks over at Mercedes and develop a 7 or 8-speed auto adapted for AWD...next best thing to a CVT.

Why cant you keep the rpms and boost where you want them with the 5eat in sport# mode?

Not bad, just don't forget that it is a 'concept' and likely will look quite a bit different once in production.

I agree, the CVT is not a 'bad' thing when you consider that it can keep the engine in the peak HP or Torque RPM when accellerating...sweet thing for the boosted crowd! Maybe Subaru can talk with the folks over at Mercedes and develop a 7 or 8-speed auto adapted for AWD...next best thing to a CVT.

I would really hate an auto with 7 or 8 speeds - it will probably change gears all the time and that annoys me more than a CVT ever would. And think of the complexity of such a gearbox.

453747.png

Have you test-driven a CVT vehicle? I did - and liked it a lot more than the stepped AT gearboxes that changes gears whenever they think is best and which annoys me.

Sure - it's a different experience.

yes i have.

and i still hate them.

Auto and CVT take all control away from the driver. you'll note there are really no high HP cars with CVT... CVT's have limitations, just like FWD.

i think the most HP a CVT has been coupled with is like (crank) 260hp or something.

go ahead, build yourself a 400+whp CVT car. there are certainly cars with that much whp with auto or MT's...

me, i'll never go CVT.

remember the Video showing off the different AWD setups, and how they work/don't work when the front wheels lose traction?

note that the Nissan murano which uses the CVT trans.... had the WORST results.... engine revs up, no movement... and it's barely up the dirt pile. zero wheelspin either. just sits there revving to redline burning up. all other forms of Auto or Mt made some progress, or if got stuck had wheelspin... the CVT did not.

I believe the Mercedes 8 speed is actually a CVT transmission that is set to "shift" at predetermined points so it feels like an 8 speed transmission. A lot of CVT's are going that way. Apparently it's more efficient and people like the feel of a shift as opposed to a constant rpm throughout the entire driving experience.

i think the most HP a CVT has been coupled with is like (crank) 260hp or something.

go ahead, build yourself a 400+whp CVT car. there are certainly cars with that much whp with auto or MT's...

You might be right that the CVT can't handle the power like a MT does. However, the new 370Z is rated at 332 crank hp and uses a CVT

the biggest claim to fame a CVT has, is snowmobiles.

whats the biggest problem with the high HP race sleds.... the belts.

now, granted that the CAR CVT's... do not use rubber belts. i understand this.

they use steel plates. or some such variant... look up the mercedes CVt, i found a real neat internal pic of one. describes the steel plates.

now, go watch this video. fast forward to the 7:50 mark and watch the CVT Murano tackle the hill...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0]YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else[/ame]

note the Murano had ZERO wheelspin, yet throttle is pegged. explain to me WHERE the CVT is putting the power from the revved up engine? it's going nowhere..... you want to talk transmission repairs down the road... think burning the clutch all day long here.

lets say the Murano has 300 crank hp with a CVT. zero wheelspin at redline on the hill, now drop in the same murano with a MT, the only way to get zero wheelspin is to lock the wheels in place. the power WILL exit the trans somehow... or the motor will die. I'd love to keep the Murano on that hill for 20 minutes all revved up and no wheelspin, then tear down that CVT and look at the belt and plates... you think a burnt clutch smells bad.

now i am NOT totaly against CVT... it has it's places. but NOT in any car i want to drive. snowmobiles sure, it's the best damn application of engine power to ground (snow) that has been found yet.

in a Quad?... no thanks. iv'e driven them, and broke them with less abuse than any MT quad i have ever owned.

in a Car? no thank you.

at least not yet... now the CVT research has improved a million times since it's inception. some day it may be the best thing out there, but it's not now. and I personaly will not jump on the CVT bandwagon yet.

to each their own. but not for me.

Wtf is wrong with the side view mirrors?

they look totally out of place... think Rice citation checklist.

and yes, they do resemble phallus symbols... heh

Archived