LegacyGT.com

whats better than RE960 PP?

jeepthrills

looking for a tire with transformer capabilities. Need great dry, wet, snow, twisties. Any ideas...also 40k plus on tread ware.

I think most people here will tell you that such a tire does exist--and that every purchase includes 1 complimentary unicorn :lol: (sorry, that was my attempt at 'humor'...no worries, I won't quit my day job)

Not sure if you've searched this forum much, but you'll probabably find that such an animal doesn't really exist due to limitations like rubber compound, tire design and tread pattern. A combo which works great in warm, dry weather inherantly sucks in cold, wet weather, snow etc....and vice versa. Stiff sidewalls built for high speeds in dry weather are counter-productive in snow.

The technology has gotten much better, but it's still not to the point where a tire can truly excel in both Summer and Winter.

One of the most popular tires here which seems to offer compromises which folks seems to be able to live with is the Continental ContiExtreme, although depending on your driving style, etc you may or may not get 40k out of them...especially on an AWD car.

I'd recommend doing a search here....you'll find all kinds of good info.

Tim

I think I read somewhere that the 960 got a top rating from Tire Rack, whatever that means to you. No tire is going to be everything to everyone in all conditions, but I'm happy with the 960s I put on the wife's Acura TL. After the first 100 miles these tires came into their own and they are much better than the OEM Michelins. I'm not sure they'll be great in snow, but the TL isn't driven much in snow. Since I run dedicated snows on the GT I probably will look more to a summer tire than to 960s for that application.

I am beyond happy with my RE960's. It is an excellent balance for me and my type of driving. If you encounter lots of winter though I think the Conti Extreme Contacts are better. However you give up lots in dry handling, sharpness, and noise for the winter capability.

I think most people here will tell you that such a tire does exist--and that every purchase includes 1 complimentary unicorn :lol: (sorry, that was my attempt at 'humor'...no worries, I won't quit my day job)

Not sure if you've searched this forum much, but you'll probabably find that such an animal doesn't really exist due to limitations like rubber compound, tire design and tread pattern. A combo which works great in warm, dry weather inherantly sucks in cold, wet weather, snow etc....and vice versa. Stiff sidewalls built for high speeds in dry weather are counter-productive in snow.

The technology has gotten much better, but it's still not to the point where a tire can truly excel in both Summer and Winter.

One of the most popular tires here which seems to offer compromises which folks seems to be able to live with is the Continental ContiExtreme, although depending on your driving style, etc you may or may not get 40k out of them...especially on an AWD car.

I'd recommend doing a search here....you'll find all kinds of good info.

Tim

+1.

As of right now I think there is no single tire that can do as much as the 960AS PP. Many people go with the ContiExtremeContact because it is still an ultra high performance all season but it's snow performance is better due to it's deeper and wider treads and it's significantly cheaper than the 960AS PP. However, on dry or wet pavement the 960AS PP is without comparison as an all-season tire. You pay for it though.

If you haven't bought the tires yet, there is a $100 off a set of 4 on the firestone website. Also if you do a quote online its usually cheaper than what they quote you at the store.

Online I was quoted $609 without the coupon, and the stores in my area wanted like $800. But when I came in with my online quote and the coupon it was $653 out the door. Online does not account for tax and shop fees.

I just had these tires put on two days ago and so far like them.

If you haven't bought the tires yet, there is a $100 off a set of 4 on the firestone website. Also if you do a quote online its usually cheaper than what they quote you at the store.

Online I was quoted $609 without the coupon, and the stores in my area wanted like $800. But when I came in with my online quote and the coupon it was $653 out the door. Online does not account for tax and shop fees.

I just had these tires put on two days ago and so far like them.

Sorry Kong....what tires did you end up going with? Can't seem to find your orig post in this thread. Were they 960PP's?

And thanks for the coupon! My biggest problem is finding a competent performance all-season in ANY size which would remotely fit an OB XT, as both the 960PP and ContiExtreme are a no go size-wise.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I totally forgot to mention that I got the 960's. Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.

I'm not overly impressed with the tires in the snow, but they are adequate. I've had them break loose a little a few times, but they always seem to grab hold again. They totally rock dry, and slushy roads so far here in Utah.

I do recommend the tires unless you want something that is kick ass in the snow. But for my needs these tires do well for a reasonable price. I'm also a slightly aggressive driver, so that is why the car breaks loose at times in the snow. But when I drive like a grandma they do fine. Hope that helps.

Archived