LegacyGT.com

Question of the Day: Why not the STi?

So redline which feels more trackable? The sti or the legacy? Obviously the LGT will need a big suspension upgrade... Im really lookin for a serious AWD system I suppose. I love the R32 for what it is but I just cant get my teeth around the only 50% to the rear part. Same with the S40 T5 AWD 6mt - which btw you can order a full R kit from a company for 3k that includes guages shifter turbo and other odds and ends to make the car 300/300... but to me itll still always handle like a FWD car.... I like 911 characteristics :) Honestly if they didnt blow rear main seals in the 996 so often and easily.... Id buy one and figure out some way to pay the insurance later :) For me those cars are perfect daily drivers....

My uncles was arena red with grey leather 6mt and it was just a rocket for what it was. Car had 12500 miles and the BEST price we could get was 42k for it as a 2000 car... wow..

Jeff

I tracked the GT already, it's a nice drive around the track, but dont expect to keep up with STi as much if you are going to have a "practice" lap against them. I have had my fair share in my WRX with STi sprints on the track at http://www.virclub.com and at Summit Point Raceway. The GT is an easier car for me to drive since it's soo smooth during transistions that are similar to an E36 M3 minus the weight and 50/50 weight split.

Keefe

Keefe

What is the LGTs weight split? Seems like it should be a fairly well balanced car. I looked at E36 M3s when I was replacing my Cobra - actually found an amazing 95 (best year IMO) white with light grey leather - sports package - texas car it s whole life - 40k original miles for ~16k And this was in 2001.... MAN would that have been a great car.. Too bad I thought Id need an SUV for CO :( In the back of my head Im still considering an E36 M3 but theyre getting old and I need something to put a lot of miles on so a warranty is a must...

Jeff

I LGT has a pretty heavy nose ( to me atleast). It is well balanced bu you can feel the plow when really pushing the car. Mostly all cars today seem to have a far bit of front bias though, BMW is one of the few that still maintain 50/50 in nearly all of their cars.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- The Lemon Song

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Yea when I was test driving e36 M3s I was doing so in the rain - which is actually funny.. My cobra had a hard time keeping traction IN THE RAIN while the M3 with not good tires on (cheap dealer) didnt lose traction. Car really gave me confidence.

Jeff

50/50 distribution is not so important as weight centered between the axles. Physics 101 - the less weight that has to change direction, the better the response. Lower polar interia means better handling. Think of this as analagous to the discussion about wheel weight - overall weight is not as important as the placement of that weight in the wheel (center is okay while the rim is not).

Having driven a late model Accord V6 for a few years, I have to say that the LGT has far less of that 'engine over the front wheels' feel. Credit that to the H-4 design and a motor that is set back somewhat in the chassis.

50/50 distribution is not so important as weight centered between the axles. Physics 101 - the less weight that has to change direction, the better the response. Lower polar interia means better handling. Think of this as analagous to the discussion about wheel weight - overall weight is not as important as the placement of that weight in the wheel (center is okay while the rim is not).

Well by what you say 50/50 then is just as important. That means the car is spread out evenly weight wise unless you are to suppose that of the 50 on both sides the weight is in front of the axle, obviously not possible. So I would still say 50/50 give you a a good idea that the car will handle well and with balance.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin-Nobody's Fault but Mine

Yeah, but between the axles is more important.

Take two cars that weigh 2000lbs each. Both have 50/50 split. One has all of that weight between the axles, the other has 1000 lbs between the axles and equal 500 lb amounts outside the axles. Which one handles better, assuming everything else is the same?

An F1 car approaches this ideal, save for the weight of the CF parts outside the axles.

Yes what you speak is the truth but 50/50 gives you an idea that the car is should be more balanced then a car with a 60/40 split.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- How Many More Times

Balance is dynamic and changes constantly. A slight rearward balance would actually be preferable in rwd or rear-biased car under acceleration and braking. My 1990 Legacy wagon has 54/46 static weight distribution, which is pretty damn good and I'd bet the new ones aren't much different (though the alloy tailgate would take weight from the rear). Don't forget the role a low CG boxer engine provides.

Steve

What about back to my topic? :) I called on an R32 today for shits n giggles... 17 left in the country new - they want 3k over STICKER for the ones they have left - 33k+.. Yowsahs. My uncle knows the owner of the dealership and bought his daughters cars there so I asked em to give him a call just for my own curiosity. So well see what they offer on that. There is an STi on autotrader guy bought a new home and can keep the car has like 10k miles is an 05 and hes down to 26k has boost guage arm rest extension and floor mats... STi is great on paper but not sure it would be the car for me for the long haul... No sunroof or leahter :)

Blah round and round I go where I stop I dont know...

What about back to my topic? :) I called on an R32 today for shits n giggles... 17 left in the country new - they want 3k over STICKER for the ones they have left - 33k+.. Yowsahs. My uncle knows the owner of the dealership and bought his daughters cars there so I asked em to give him a call just for my own curiosity. So well see what they offer on that. There is an STi on autotrader guy bought a new home and can keep the car has like 10k miles is an 05 and hes down to 26k has boost guage arm rest extension and floor mats... STi is great on paper but not sure it would be the car for me for the long haul... No sunroof or leahter :)

Blah round and round I go where I stop I dont know...

Even though an R32 is cool, I don't know that it will buck the VW trend of low resale value. Not a big deal if you plan on keeping it forever, but something to consider if you are like most of us and get bored easily. You can fix the power issue - forget the name, but there is that company in Canada that puts hybrid VW's together - twin turbo VR6's with Haldex AWD. Not cheap, but would take the R32 to the level of the EVO and STi, but with the creature comforts you are looking for.

It would probably cost you less to buy the used STi, swap leather Recaro's in, add some coilovers so you can adjust the suspension to your liking and install a sunroof.

For trackability, stock, you can't compare the STI and the Legacy. The STI just has more or better of everything (power,suspension,brakes,differentials,gears,etc.) The Leg wasn't meant to be driven as hard, it's a sporty family sedan/wagon.

For streetability, stock, you can't compare the STI and Legacy, The Legacy just has more of everything, comfort,amenities,build quality,rigidity,etc. The STI wasn't meant to be driven every day, it's a high strung, out-of-the-box rally replicar.

:)

Seriously, though, I think the Legacy is a great compromise for a daily driver. The fact is, you only get to push your car 10% of the time, the rest is spent in traffic or commuting. For that 10% I'll get some sways, an uppipe/downpipe/ECUtek reflash, decent tires and be done with it.

Until it gets tracked. And needs SS brakelines, Porterfields, Motul and coilovers :)

I actually asked about having a sunroof put in on an STi and its not a possibility bc of the ridgidity needed from the power of the car - subbys words not mine.

The R32 you were thinkin of is from HPA I believe - but that car would smoke any STi or evo basically... 0-60 in like 3 and the 1/4 in like 11... Its a 30k package...

Redline I agree with you. Just still having the hardest time getting my teeth around the sedan thang :) And I really like cars that have really tight handling. My cobra had miserable handling but the RWD made it very fun :)

Jeff

The ridgity excuse is a feasible one, but the same they gave when the WRX was released in 2001. The car has 'c-band' reinforcements and the sunroof would go right smack in the middle of one. If that's the case, how come a sunroof is now an option on the std. WRX?

Had an 04 STi for a year and a half. Now I have a 05 Legacy GT Wagon.

I loved the STi motor & trans. The acceleration out of tight turns was unreal. However, I really didn't like the 2004 STi's diff-induced steering play and feedback - the 2004 front diff would pull the front left/right with throttle even on gentle curves. [The 05 has changes in the mounting of the steering rack and has a new diff, so all might be well. ]

The STi is a challenge to drive well, which in my opinion made the STi all the more fun. It worked best with a careful entry and agressive full-throttle exits. Of course, there's the road noise. About 1/4 of that noise is the Potenza 070s (sidewalls stiffer than solid rubber means you know about all pebbles in your path).

The GT is not a fast reacting car. The car takes quite a while to set in turns. The steering has a very heavy dampener on it which makes quick flicks tiresome. Lifting the throttle takes a couple of seconds to fully happen (lift is the best way to rotate this car, so you have to plan Way ahead). That said, The GT rotates better than any other stock Wagon I can think of) and though there's Power understeer, a rear swaybar helps a lot. Also, the Climate control is out to lunch. But The GT is a fantastic highway cruiser with decent ability to rotate with throttle lift. Makes it pretty good package.

Well might as well post this in the thread I already started :)

Found a dealer in Longmont that let me take a new STi out for a niiiice loooong fuuuuun drive :) Got the car up to 120 on a back road and the thing just wanted more. Such an angry lil car! I personally didnt think it was THAT stiff. My GSX was prolly about the same if not slightly worse. The power IS incredible. The interior could be a lot worse - still not my favorite. I like that the 05s have auto climate control. The optional guages look a bit cheap to me... I liked the seats - firm and supportive - just the way I like em.

One thing I noticed is that it almost felt like TQ steer of the line - not sure what thats all about..

I also do not like the rear wing - if I ever owned one Id get rid of that thing very fast.

As far as a sunroof - the dealer has done one ONCE for an older gentleman who wanted one - they installed the exact same lil one from the WRX - 1800 installed lol. But at least it can be done.

The car definetely gave me doubt about the Legacy. I realize the power can be made to feel like this thing - but what about handling? Maybe not quite as stiff but can it be upgraded to give it proper handling characteristics?

Anyone in CO got a stage 2 with upgraded handling I can drive?!?!

Might have to talk to 2simpletons even tho hes a bit far away heh..

Jeff

Archived