LegacyGT.com

Question of the Day: Why not the STi?

As I keep doin my dilligent research for my new car... Ive started thinkng why not get an STi instead of the LGT? Can some people that own/have owned/had some seat time in/ and STi give me some advice here? Im 23 so Im sure insurance wouldnt be low... But how high am I looking at? My dealer in Boulder just wont let me test drive one so Ive honestly never driven one. Im used to pretty harsh rides - my GSX had really heavy springs and coilovers in it. Sure made some nasty pop sounds on bumps after that :) I am getting older now but I like a communicative car with cat like reflexes. I want to do some auto-x and maybe other track days with my new car once I have it so thats part of the equasion as well.

Actually Xenonk (sp?) if you read this why did you go with an LGT for autox rather than an STi or something else?

Blah just tryin to feel my way on this :)

Jeff

I've been in a few and the car is awesome but its just really high strung. Can it be used as a daily driver? Of course it can, any car can if someone really has the want. Would I want to be stuck in traffic with it or driving on the shoddy New Jersey roads all summer in it? Certainly not. The LGT is I would say 8/10ths of the car that the STi is, it doesn't have the blazing speed or handling, but it has all the bascis you could want or need, a few little changes here and there and the car has the capability to be as good as the STi and better in most aspects.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Darlene ( Little known but one of my favorites)

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

If you're dealer thinks you are serious about buying an STi, they'll let you drive it. If they continue to not let you take it for a test drive, walk away and go to a different dealer.

You really need to test drive the STi before you make an conclusions about it. It is a very stiff ride, the car jerks you around a lot at lower speeds... And its small -- the backseat is very crampt. On the other hand, it is a blast to drive and has tons of untapped potential.

personally, the LGT is much more suitable as a daily driver -- and has tons of power, plus available mods for additional power if you are so inclined. You can get near STi power for about 1k. (i'm sure an AP alone will get you very close)

it comes down to what you want to drive though -- if you're thinking about an STi -- get it now while you're still young

I like my skin :) I actually own a hodaka offroad bike - a 74 to be exact :) Now if anyone knows what that is Id be very surprised. It doesnt run and we actually used it as a chandelier in my dads loft at one point :) But its my bike!

Jeff

The STi is a race car with a racing turbo and suspension and everything else a race car should have. The Legacy is a normal car that is higher than average in the luxury area and just happens to go fast. Which would you prefer?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
Comfort. I already had an Impreza and was less than impressed with its' refinement. Performance or not, no chance I'm paying 30K for a little car like that.

What I like about the leggy: its SMOOTH. Its quick, nimble, rides nice, and is easy to live with day in day out. Plus it looks cool. But no, I have never driven an STi (they wouldn't let me without filling out a lot pre-purchase paperwork, so I walked).

I thought about trading in my WRX for an STi before going with the LGT. Bottom line: the black STi my local dealer has stickers for $36k. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Rex and the STi is a fantastic car but come on... that's a lot to pay for a car that size. But if its your cup of tea, go for it...

For insurance comparisons, I was paying $2300 a year in insurance on my WRX for full coverage when I was your age. And that was the BEST deal I could find. Geico wanted more than $3k a year. But then I turned 25 and it magically fell to about $1000 a year for the LGT for somewhat upgraded coverage. I did a comparison and it would have cost about the same for the STi, oddly enough.

Cheaper then a STI, cheaper to insure over a STI, and more refined. Don't get me wrong I love the STI and could use it as a Daily Driver, but I like the fact the LGT is a bit more liveable from day to day. You can have just as much if not more power in the LGT then in a STI for very little too.

I guess the reason Im getting so nervous in my car selection is because Ive been driving this damn truck for too long now.. Nearly 3 years (longest Ive owned anything argh..) Im worried that im so tainted by how badly this thing drives that almost anything feels good to me :) I dont want to buy something and then get readjusted to life in a car and realize Ive made a ~28k mistake :)

Jeff

I've heard from way more STi drivers who feel they made a mistake than LGT drivers. That should tell you something. It either says that owners of LGTs think the decision through better or that the personality type that jumps on an STi is quick to change their mind. It just goes to prove that LGT drivers are smart. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The sti doesn't have a folding rear seat or else I would have got it. If there was an sti impreza wagon I'd be all over it. So, I ended up with a gt lmtd wagon. As far as the leg wagon vs impreza wrx wagon..no comparison needed.

As I keep doin my dilligent research for my new car... Ive started thinkng why not get an STi instead of the LGT? Can some people that own/have owned/had some seat time in/ and STi give me some advice here? Im 23 so Im sure insurance wouldnt be low... But how high am I looking at? My dealer in Boulder just wont let me test drive one so Ive honestly never driven one. Im used to pretty harsh rides - my GSX had really heavy springs and coilovers in it. Sure made some nasty pop sounds on bumps after that :) I am getting older now but I like a communicative car with cat like reflexes. I want to do some auto-x and maybe other track days with my new car once I have it so thats part of the equasion as well.

Actually Xenonk (sp?) if you read this why did you go with an LGT for autox rather than an STi or something else?

Blah just tryin to feel my way on this :)

Jeff

Check your priorities:

1. Power and tuneability (advantage STi)

2. Comfort and amenities (advantage LGT)

3. Handling (advantage STi)

4. Stealth factor (depends on whether you want to be seen)

5. Running costs, including insurance (advantage LGT)

Based on how you rate the factors above, you should be able to find your answer.

I could have bought an STi, but I had a modded WRX before, so it's nothing special to me. I gave myself a challenge before I bought the WRX back in 2002.

Challenge:

STi = $32,000

WRX = $22,000

---------------

$10,000 difference

Can you take $10,000 worth of mods onto a WRX and make it perform just as well as the STi?

Benefit Factor: You tailor-made the WRX to what you want instead of buying something straight off the lot. I truely favor over "tailor-made" vs "out of the box". I can't justify myself paying all that money and not have everything EXACTLY to what I want out of a car when I can start with a lower or other cheaper platform and build the rest of the car the way I want it to be.

Things to ponder about right? If anyone made a WRX out of a dealership just like the way I had my WRX (a la WRX NB-R baby!), I would buy the WRX NB-R over the STi.

Things you might want to consider is "What you can do you with the difference in the cash of the cars you are comparing to buy? You are bound to spend X amount anyways." In other words, "What will you do with the money that will yield out the most happiness?"

Keefe

Keefe

If you are 23, with no wife and kids, and if you think you wouldn't get tired of the "wow" factor of driving a car as, dare I say "ricey" as an STi, and if the additional price and insurance associated with an STi is no issue to you, then by all means you should get the STi. Faster, better handling, sportier, easier to mod. What more could you want?

Me, I chose the Legacy GT over the STi (actually, never seriously considered the STi) because unlike you, I'm almost 40, have two kids, would be embarrassed to drive a car with that wing as a daily driver, and would not have been willing to pay the extra $$$ for an STi when the Legacy GT has it's same attributes, just a bit more refined (or watered down, depending upon your perspective).

However, if I was your age and none of the above applied to me, then I would choose a Crystal Gray STi over a Legacy GT in a heartbeat.

How appropriate for my first post.

I just traded my '04 STI in on an '05 GT Ltd wagon on Monday. I bought the STI with 6K on the clock and sold it at 11K. I didn't lose much on the trade-in, fortunately.

My reasons? The STI was to be my first "new" car. I wanted a sports car, but needed the functionality of a 4 door and the STI seemed like the perfect car for me, once I traded trunks and got rid of the silly wing. I was expecting a creak and rattle-free car, but I sure didn't get one.

I loved the performance of the car and if I was a home owner with a two car garage, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. This was my only car, however, so it had to make a 30 mile commute every day on the notoriously poor 405 in Los Angeles. The ride wasn't that bad, but the noise level, lack of refinement, and creaks/rattles finally drove me to seriously reconsider the purchase. I was given an Outback loaner during a service and was quite impressed with the quality of construction and materials. Ultimately, It was the above mentioned factors, combined with the fact that I'm 31 and need to be a bit more grown up, along with an impressive deal on an '05 which make me trade the STI in.

Truly, different strokes for different folks. I like both cars, but you have to decide what your tradeoff is in terms of luxury vs. performance.

<The aftermath, of course, is that I find the Legacy a bit too floaty so in spite of promising never to mod a car again, I'm going to be ordering sways and possibly the JDM Bilstien setup :) >

modified from Patagonian GT's post:

to me, STi = cramped and cheaper-looking interior, crazy insurance, added attention from cops and idiots, also no automatic when i am stuck on I-25. I do wish the LGT were more powerful and handled more like the STi.

i would have got a STi if I were under 23, or if i could own two cars... :lol:

This Space For Rent

Redline: Interresting thoughts. I too would swap the wing out - thats just over the top ricey for me. Rattles really would drive me crazy - the rattles in my blazer make me crazy with rage toward detroit. I have heard one member on here had put sound deadening material into his STi and that seemed to really help.. You think that wouldve made a big enough difference for you to keep it?

Jeff

But I'm only 25.. and when I was 16, I drove a 1993 Acura Legend. No complaints. Doesnt have to be a speed thing all the time. A car is a car is a car is a car.. you'll find out later that even driving a super exotic is nothing great if you can't extract the potential out of it.. (yes, I have driven some exotic cars here and there.. after awhile, it's just a car).

Keefe

Keefe

Well heres the thing. About 2 months ago I sold my uncles '00 996 C2. After driving that for the small time I got to drive it - Im in love with that car from head to toe. Id love a C4 but alas it aint in the budget :) To me it was the ultimate in what a car should be. Not a lot out there that really compares... Lol thing even had hooks on the roof to attach the roof rack to for skiing :)

Jeff

If you are 23, with no wife and kids, and if you think you wouldn't get tired of the "wow" factor of driving a car as, dare I say "ricey" as an STi, and if the additional price and insurance associated with an STi is no issue to you, then by all means you should get the STi. Faster, better handling, sportier, easier to mod. What more could you want?

Me, I chose the Legacy GT over the STi (actually, never seriously considered the STi) because unlike you, I'm almost 40, have two kids, would be embarrassed to drive a car with that wing as a daily driver, and would not have been willing to pay the extra $$$ for an STi when the Legacy GT has it's same attributes, just a bit more refined (or watered down, depending upon your perspective).

However, if I was your age and none of the above applied to me, then I would choose a Crystal Gray STi over a Legacy GT in a heartbeat.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I'm 32, and bought the Legacy. 10 years ago, however, I would have gone for the STi.

When I look at the cosmetics of the STi, though, it does look a bit overdone. That air-scoop looks like a fed-ex drop box, and the wing is too tall. Add gold wheels to the blue model and that just grosses me out.

When I see STi's coming the other direction on the road, they remind me of the respect they have gotten in the UK, Japan and Australia. There's something tough and functional about the ugliness that I like. After having a WRX wagon for two years, we felt that spending the extra dough on the STi didn't make as much sense as the LGT wagon. I knew I could spend a little cash and narrow the gap, so I didn't hesitate. I almost bought a white STi this time last year - I am glad I waited.

Sgtpepr - I was going to rip out the interior and dampen/insulate the whole thing, but I had the realization that I was kind of over spending entire weekends eff-ing with my car. I put the rack and shifter bushings, sway bar, on in one afternoon and my back was killing me.

This, combined with lighting mods to get everything to match, tracking down rattles and creaks made me realize that Subaru spent all their budget on the driveline, but chintzed out on everything else to keep the car at the price point it's being sold at. I really wanted great build quality on my first "new" car and you just aren't going to see that in an STI.

As for the ricer factor, without the wing and STI stickers up front my car looked great, IMO, and I kind of liked the scoop, since it was still kind of in-your-face.

Nonetheless, it's still an Impreza and that should really say it all. It's a fun toy. I needed something more grown up. As others have stated though, if Subaru made a Legacy STI wagon, I'd be all over it.

Oddly enough, I was considering an '03 M3 or '99 996 as well. Neither really seemed worth what people were asking for a used car. Additionally, having owned a really nice '83 911SC, I thought Porsche has really fallen off the nut in terms of quality with the 996. Mass production - experience in mass production + cost cutting = suspect quality.

Wunderkind- Not much of a tarmac weapon, unfortunately. I tracked the car and it really didn't feel natural. Loads of understeer; I felt like I was fighting it the whole time. My old 911 was way more suited for the track and even thought it was down on power, compartively, it felt more planted and balanced. I think that that may have been the final nail in the coffin, come to think of it. I partially bought the STI thinking I would track it, but I didn't love the way it felt going 10/10ths.

Archived