LegacyGT.com

Spec B driving experience

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it's the same car plus some yellow bodied shocks, some different badges, and bigger heavier wheels and tires.:lol:

If it's anything like mine.... it will be noisy. It will be mechanically unreliable at times... and it will swill fuel like a 1/2 ton truck.

If its anything like my 05, you can add 60hp and 70trq and drive it 20kmiles a year with nothing but oil changes to pay for. And average 22mpg combined driving.

Have an 08 specb purchased in may. Still feels great, still looks great. I dont drive to work so I have only put 4k miles on it and I only wish I could drive it more. Feels better now than when I first bought it. Jealous of all the stg1 people but hopefully after xmas I will be joining them. Enjoy.

If its anything like my 05, you can add 60hp and 70trq and drive it 20kmiles a year with nothing but oil changes to pay for. And average 22mpg combined driving.

This has been my experience as well.

Went from 250hp/250tq to 310hp/360tq. Average 24 mpg on the freeway (on days when I'm not motivated to drive spiritedly). Too soon to tell on long term reliability for me, I just modded my car 3-4 months ago.

VERY HAPPY though.

With regard to SI drive, you can have your tuner "re-program" it so that S and S# are reversed. My car essentially defaults to S#. SI drive only adds one table to the ECU tune, requested torque. :)

I have been considering just copying the S# requested torqe table to the the S table. Not sure yet though..

Wasnt there soemone who did a dyno run in i drive and s drive? He said in i drive it peaked at 8psi compared to almost 14 in s

I mode peaks at less requested torqe than S/S#. The boost target table is setup to look at requested torque so you're essentially never hitting your WOT boost targets, so you're limited to whatever the max boost is in that requested torque range.

I did it...!

Just back from the dealer, did the paperwork, left a deposit, now have to wait maybe a month for them to find a metallic grey one. Gives me enough time to dig-up the rest of the down payment I guess :-)

Thanks for all the feedback folks, great advice about doing mods; I can see that's going to be addictive!!!

Hey,

I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to order a '09 Spec B. Yeah!!!

The test drive was great, especially playing with the SI-Drive, but what I'm wondering from all you Spec B lovers is what's the driving experience like?

You've had the car, perhaps, for a few years, or perhaps you have the '08, which would be similar to the '09. What's it like after a few months in the cockpit?

Any personal driving experience anecdotes - the good and the bad - I can expect to also experience?

Thanks!

I really like my spec. B...

The only issue that some people will note is that it doesn't have bluetooth handsfree , not being able to scroll through radio presets on steering wheel, no HID lights and the intergration of satelite radio/ipod isn't the greatest. The HIDs can be added aftermarket though.

The NAV discs can be a bit out of date for Ottawa. I have V2 or 2.0 discs and big chunks of Kanata are missing, even though they have been there for the past ten years:rolleyes:. You should have V3 discs. Can I borrow those discs sometime??:lol:

There aren't to many spec. Bs or LGTs around, so many people underestimate the performance potential of your car and police in Ottawa won't harass you;) The same can't be said if you owned at STI in Ottawa.

I get my car serviced at Westboro and haven't had a problem with this car yet. I did have an issue with them because of a headgasket leak on my previous LGT but the original dealership I bought my car from, took care of that.

You should check out the National Capital Subaru Club, they have local meets and you can find a bunch of local vendors or tuners(Only one real option in Ottawa proper).

I did it...!

Just back from the dealer, did the paperwork, left a deposit, now have to wait maybe a month for them to find a metallic grey one. Gives me enough time to dig-up the rest of the down payment I guess :-)

Thanks for all the feedback folks, great advice about doing mods; I can see that's going to be addictive!!!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I did it...!

Congratulations.

Enjoy.

Why do ppl keep discussing the merits/cons of SI dive as if it was a spec B specific thing, has everyone forgotten it's standard on ALL LGT models 07 and onward. We should he discussing the difference in driving experience with the diff suspension and 6MT since the OP was interested in driving opinions specific to the 08 and 09 spec B.

And the spec B is the king of cars joke is getting tired, I own a spec B and I like I and it is NOT the king of cars, that's something that keeps getting repeated by ppl too dull to come up w original jokes.

I really like my spec. B...

The only issue that some people will note is that it doesn't have bluetooth handsfree , not being able to scroll through radio presets on steering wheel, no HID lights and the intergration of satelite radio/ipod isn't the greatest. The HIDs can be added aftermarket though.

The NAV discs can be a bit out of date for Ottawa. I have V2 or 2.0 discs and big chunks of Kanata are missing, even though they have been there for the past ten years:rolleyes:. You should have V3 discs. Can I borrow those discs sometime??:lol:

There aren't to many spec. Bs or LGTs around, so many people underestimate the performance potential of your car and police in Ottawa won't harass you;) The same can't be said if you owned at STI in Ottawa.

I get my car serviced at Westboro and haven't had a problem with this car yet. I did have an issue with them because of a headgasket leak on my previous LGT but the original dealership I bought my car from, took care of that.

You should check out the National Capital Subaru Club, they have local meets and you can find a bunch of local vendors or tuners(Only one real option in Ottawa proper).

Yeah, I would have really liked to have had the Bluetooth/phone integration, not having that is a drag. Driving down Highway 5 from Chelsea is a great time to talk to clients, friends and lovers :-)

No problem about the DVD; I'll let you know what version I have when it arrives... but I think i found a place where they can be downloaded.

Will check out the club; who do you recommend for tuning?

Why do ppl keep discussing the merits/cons of SI drive...

Hell, our Outback XT has SI-Drive, so you're more right than you may think: it's certainly nothing special to LGT.Bs.

Of course, you and I know that our .Bs are way better than regular LGTs because our tires don't touch the ground, and our exhaust smells like saddle leather instead of, well, icky car exhaust.

But don't tell those others...

HPH

Have had my '06 Spec.B since Feb. 2006. I decided not to do any engine mods because the car is fast enough for me and in my old age I've realized that if you have a good thing, you should think long and hard about messing with it. Am always around 24-25 mpg; has done 27 mpg on trips. I am delighted with the way it handles so didn't consider any suspension mods either. I did put in a Borla catback, upgraded the audio, and added JDM tails. Mine has 71k on it and has not given me any trouble at all except for the rear wheel bearings which went bad and were replaced under the extended warranty Subaru placed on them. I left the DRL's enabled yet am even still running the original headlight bulbs. (Jinx; no doubt one will go in the next week!) I still love driving it every day, rain, shine, or snow. Best car I've ever owned.

Yeah, I would have really liked to have had the Bluetooth/phone integration, not having that is a drag. Driving down Highway 5 from Chelsea is a great time to talk to clients, friends and lovers :-)

No problem about the DVD; I'll let you know what version I have when it arrives... but I think i found a place where they can be downloaded.

Bluetooth can be added on aftermarket but depending how picky you are, you might not like the implementation or the intergration.

There is only one real Subaru tuner in Ottawa. That would be TONIK Motorsports, they do road tuning(meaning no dyno tuning) and installs. However, they can't do Cobb protune maps but that's a moot point with AccessTUNER Race. They usually do open source or Tactrix cable tunes. The other close by tuner is Lachute in Brownsburg-Chatham, QC. Although, their history is a bit hit and miss amongst the Ottawa crowd.

KVR brakes has a four wheel dyno in the east end of Ottawa.

Unfortunately there aren't many GOOD tuners in Ontario period. Can't comment about the Ottawa area. Get on the local Ottawa forum and see about the reputation of tuners in the area.

You don't want to deal with a pro-tuner unless they have a good reputation. Poor tune = detonation = bad. :eek:

I had my car protuned by Innovative Tuning in Buffalo.

Archived