LegacyGT.com

1998 Legacy GT rear brake issues

jokermtb

Hey all, got a 1998 Legacy GT with almost 160,000 mi on the clock - orig. owner. I don't autocross, or drive the car that hard cuz it's in it's golden years and want to baby it along for another year or two. I recently took it into my neighborhood shop to fix a leaky rim, and they said my rear pads were getting bad [original rotors, but pads are aftermarket]. Long story short, they said new rotors/pads/bleed for the rears would run $290. FYI, I do have relatively new front rotors/pads and they work wonderfully.

I think they're just lazy/greedy about the rotors [but, the existing rotors are anciently original!], but I'm thinking about getting the rotors turned, to take the unworn outer rotor lip down, for new pads. As it is now, the rear brakes don't make a peep and seem to work just fine - I keep waiting for the wear indicator to start screeching........Or, should I just jack up the rear of the car, push the pistons in, and slap on some cheap pads and be done with it......I don't want to spend "anything" on such an old car, but was wondering if anyone knew the minimum thickness of the rotor for it to still be viable to turn the rotors, instead of slappin' on a new one. And, how bad do you think it would be to slap some fresh pads onto such an old rotor, and bed them in?

Any suggestions for aftermarket "inexpensive" rotors and pads - don't need performance?, just halfway decent quality...Any suggestions are appreciated!

I'm surprised the rotors have lasted that long, you must really take care of your car! My 95 probably went through 4 sets over the course of time I owned it.

If you just need new pads, you don't have to have the rotors resurfaced.

Seeing these are original, I'd suggest replacing them all together. I know you don't want to break the bank, so search on Ebay.

Just the rotors will run you between $80-90 for L/R sides, and some sellers even offer the pads for around another $50.

That isn't bad, seeing genuine OEM is about $75 for each side.

I hope you're not loosening the axle nut.

In any case, make sure the handbrake is not on.

Hit around it with a hammer until the rust breaks loose. Don't get Arnie on it, it is cast iron.

Can't remember if there are two holes in the drum or not. If so, 8mm bolts will go in and tightening them alternately,will push the drum off. You can take the ones from the radiator support brackets.

You can get replacement brake hardware from your auto store cheaply.

If this is your first time, take pictures , so you'll have something to refer to on reassembly.

Have fun.

O.

Archived