LegacyGT.com

Subaru Out Of WRC?

urs1ne

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As noted earlier - it seems like they want to take a year off to develop a new car suitable for the new regulations.

It can be a good thing because dropping in something in a hurry won't make sense. A quick hack will probably not score many points and it will cost a lot of money. Better save that money to make something better.

On the other hand, if things go really bad in the economy there is a risk that it will be on hold for longer.

453747.png

So who thinks the same could/should happen with Nascar?

If the Big3 are begging for money from the country, shouldn't they cut their racing programs (that benefit the overall company little since there is very little "trickle" down from Nascar to the consumer models especially today).

Personally I think Nascar is idiotic in comparison to WRC where the cars actually turn in more than one direction.

"Subaru will still be represented in the WRC next season with independent Norwegian team Adapta running two cars. Mads Ostberg has been confirmed as one of the drivers and the team is still looking for a second.Prodrive could still work with a customer team to field a two car Subaru entry in the manufacturer teams' class, although no confirmation has been made by the team." FROM http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72500

Q&A with Morten Ostberg Sep 15

The Adapta World Rally Team was unveiled last week as the squad which will run two Subaru Imprezas in next year’s manufacturer team competition.

Adapta has confirmed that 20-year-old Norwegian Mads Ostberg and co-driver Ole Kristian Unnerund will drive one of its cars but the second crew is yet to be decided.

WRC.com spoke to Adapta team principal Morten Ostberg, to find out more about the team’s plans.

What do you hope Mads can achieve next year?

Based on his speed and ambition I think it’s a normal progression for him to be able to fight in the points winning places - at least on the rallies where he has experience. It won’t be easy of course, but ambitions never are. Our objectives next year for Mads are based on a bigger plan; the overall target is a manufacturer drive in 2010 and his WRC programme is building to that point. His did three WRC rallies in 2006, six in 2007 and will do seven this year. We now feel he is ready to take the next step to 10. Overall we’re aiming for a little bit more than what we have done this year. So being in the points should be the normal level.

As a manufacturer team you had the choice to run any type of World Rally Car next year, so why did you choose the Subaru over the more proven cars from Ford or Citroen?

There are two reasons. The first is that we have a long term cooperation with Prodrive [the company which runs Subaru’s rally team] and we have absolute faith in working with them. Subaru has been part of the long term plan we drew up before we ran Mads in his first WRC event in 2006 and our plan includes Subarus all the way. In the meantime we have had some discussions - some proper discussions - about the possibility to move from Subaru to another manufacturer but we have, by a good margin, ended up following our original strategy. The second reason is that we have full confidence in the car which up to now has given us good results and progress. The Impreza S9 2003 model, the S10 2004/5 model and most recently the S12b 2007 have given us good material progress and have also given Mads the progress in speed. We are confident that the new car [WRC2008] will take us to the next step on the ladder.

How is the search for the second driver going?

It’s going very well and we have had good discussions with a lot of drivers. However, as you might expect I’m not able to give away much information at the moment because most of the drivers are in different positions. Okay, we are still in the early stages of the silly season but I can say we are talking to six drivers. I expect that number will increase in the next week or so.

Can you give us any names?

I can give you one - that’s Anders Grondal from Norway. He has been in contact and we definitely know him and his team very well from national events. We have been discussing the possibilities for next year and now he’s working to improve his budgets before we have further discussions

FROM http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=2608&desc=Q&A%20with%20Morten%20Ostberg

Stunning news to say the least.

Now what's an owner to say when a noob asks "So what's with the WRX letters??" :(

Good lord ppl, it's not the end of the world. This doesnt take away from Subaru's rally heritage i.e. it will not go back in time and undo the *past* like some sci-fi movie about time travel to kill Hitlers grandfather so he may never be born.

Audi has been out of the rally game for ages now and the original Quattro is still constantly remembered as a rally giant. And another thing, Audi is doing just fine right now, and so will subaru.

Stop crying ppl.

My point are some subaru owners that insecure and secretly ashamed of their cars that, take away. Subarus future involvement in the WRC , suddenly the owner feels he cannot rationalize or explain why he likes his car or chose it? it strikes me as a little sad, I like my car and think it's great even if it had ZERO motorsports heritage, past, present, or future and I don't really need such connections to buy or enjoy a car.

Apparently some do need that connection to feel ok with heir choices.

^What about the concept of just supporting a team you love? Imagine if suddenly your favourite football team withdraws from the championship...

The reasons i bought my car had nothing to do with rallying... rather i felt like the whole racing heritage thing came with the car as a bonus...

I know that Subaru cars have other fantastic attributes as well, but the WRC is a huge part of the history of Subaru, and was a factor that affected the way that people saw Subaru.

From makers of "farmers special", at least in Europe, to makers of rally-bred high performance cars!

So whats wrong with a bit of sentiment man?

Nope I'm not into being obsessed w pro sports teams, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Nothing wrong w sentiment, but if you dig past that, strip away the concept of brand image, it exposes a fundamental psychology that one can't simply be happy w his car as simply a car, but needs to have a whole 'bred from motorsports' aura surrounding it. Obsession with pro atheles and teams also is a form or living vicariously because ones own abilities falls short

Archived