LegacyGT.com

Tickets???

OK so yesterday theres was some snow on the ground left over from storm. So i saw empty parking lot and decided to do some doughnuts. After doing them i was thinking....

Can you get a ticket for doing doughnuts in a empty parking???

Parking lots are usually private property. However, the property owner can choose to allow the local PD to enforce traffic laws. If someone calls to complain, they can ticket for a variety of things(trespassing, reckless/careless driving, etc).

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Yes.

They don't care if it's empty.

True, but they need permission to enforce vehicle codes on private property. Most lots will have a sign at the entrance stating that vehicle codes will be enforced.

If I ever got a ticket for VC violation on private property w/o there being that sign, I would fight that ticket.

But, then again, I don't do a$$hat things like drifting in parking lots....

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I have received a wreckless driving ticket for doing donuts in an empty parking lot. I was able to get it knocked down to a "defective vehicle" ticket but this was when I was in college. It really sucked. It was finals week and I was just out venting my head to go study some more and this guy had to ruin my night.

In Ontario we have a new ridiculous street racing law in effect.

The legislation gives cops enormous powers and I suspect that under the legislation this could be considered "stunt driving". Such a charge would result in a one week license suspension and they would impound your car for a week.

Absolutely ridiculous.

That's really over the top. I suppose anyone who slides even a little bit could be charged on the spot too...:rolleyes:

Why are there so many laws that punish people for doing something that they have no other way to practice? Sure, some of the kids (ok, probably the marjoity) are doing donuts in a parking lot to goof off, but I'd sure like to get more comfortable with my car in the snow in a safe area.

You can't just read how to control a car in a book or on a webpage, you need to learn it and repeat it over and over so that it becomes instict for when you do end up in a slide.

Exactly i wasnt like trying to goof off, i mean it is fun tho. but i had a set of new snow tires put on and just wanted to see how they handled. Then thought about if i could of gotten a ticket.

That's really over the top. I suppose anyone who slides even a little bit could be charged on the spot too...:rolleyes:

Why are there so many laws that punish people for doing something that they have no other way to practice? Sure, some of the kids (ok, probably the marjoity) are doing donuts in a parking lot to goof off, but I'd sure like to get more comfortable with my car in the snow in a safe area.

You can't just read how to control a car in a book or on a webpage, you need to learn it and repeat it over and over so that it becomes instict for when you do end up in a slide.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the cops are given a tremendous amount of room to interpret the law.

If people have the opportunity to practice and learn what the car will do under "controlled" driving conditions, they are much more likely to know what to do when it happens on the street. Common sense to me. Problem is that I would expect most cops would give you a hard time if they came across you doing this in a parking lot.

It is possible (and probable) that a parking lot is considered a "highway" as it is fully accessible from the road and open to the public.

a Parking lot is private property..... period.

unless it's a government owned property (local,state,federal etc.)

if a cop writes you up for a ticket treating it as a highway.... they will lose that fight in court.

what others have said is true. private property, unless given permission a cop can only ask you to leave or call the owner.

and yes, most parking lots do in fact allow cops to ticket people for trespassing and stuff.

lets say a ricer idiot goes to an empty parking lot and does donuts, and lets say hit a curb or the parking barriers and wrecks his car and hurts himself. guess what.... ricer idiot goes to a lawyer and sues parking lot owner for "non snow removal, causing unsafe driving conditions"

who do you think wins in court?

it don't matter..... company is screwed. companies turn the parking lots over to cops for many reasons. protecting themselves from stupid lawsuits for one.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the cops are given a tremendous amount of room to interpret the law.

If people have the opportunity to practice and learn what the car will do under "controlled" driving conditions, they are much more likely to know what to do when it happens on the street. Common sense to me. Problem is that I would expect most cops would give you a hard time if they came across you doing this in a parking lot.

the problem is, not a controlled environment.... key point there.

empty parking lot, until the other guy decides to come join. zero safety inspections of the vehicle, oh your tire comes off and goes through building window? or better yet, hits the guy walking down the sidewalk 50 feet away not paying attention to you.

there are schools and closed courses to do/learn these things. private property, unless your own, is not. liability and laws come into play when you do things on someone elses property without permission...

what others have said is true. private property, unless given permission a cop can only ask you to leave or call the owner.

and yes, most parking lots do in fact allow cops to ticket people for trespassing and stuff.

Since the cops always have a multitude of alternatives they can always resort to giving a ticket for disturbing the silence in the neighborhood or whatever. That's the big problem, they always have something on their hands that's right - regardless of if it's on private property or not.

453747.png

OK so yesterday theres was some snow on the ground left over from storm. So i saw empty parking lot and decided to do some doughnuts. After doing them i was thinking....

Can you get a ticket for doing doughnuts in a empty parking???

Depends on the state and the property.

But yes you can get a ticket. NASIOC drivers manage to get tickets doing almost everything. Probably due to this:

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/437431001_ttUhk-L.jpg

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644264

Doing my routine sliding around an empty parking lot, I failed to notice the undercover cop enjoying the view.

..$200 for imprudent driving :lol:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426866

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived