LegacyGT.com

DDM/Apexcone HID Kit installation questions

f1anatic

DDM Kit install

I received finally the stuff from DDM Tuning. I am unclear about a few things. I must first mention that I ordered Apexcone Full Ballasts and I got the DDM ballasts which have the igniter outside of the ballast. Then I think I got H3 bulbs instead of H7. I will attach pictures, could someone please confirm ?

Then i would like you to tell me how I install. I labeled each end with letters and hopefully you guys can tell me that i connect A to B and D to E and F to G etc.

Thank you.

(I am not sure what to do with D (red & black). I think they would fit perfectly in an H3 housing which has those connectors) IF I have to plug those in the H7 OEM harness, is there an HID kit on the market (Volt ?) that uses a typical H7 connector and not some general connectors ?

ballast.jpg.7da9447a050b1628f0752205190c78a1.jpg

battery-harness.jpg.4a81bbcd79437d3d080be036397b2504.jpg

bulb.jpg.67301b186c450457e049059715deaeab.jpg

Ok so here ya go.

Without the harness

G into H

I into F

J into E

With the Harness

J into E

I into F

G into A

H into B

The two D's go into the original plug that is inside the housing. Pink wire to red and black to black.

If you need help I can always stop by and give you a hand wherever you live. I had this kit on my car but am gonna be doing a retro cuase I want OEM HID's.

It's easy and a perfect fit. It's just a couple of connectors that plug into the sockets instead of plugging the socket into the bulbs. Very tight connection and also air tight in that housing. if I were you though I would try to avoid drilling the hole in those headlight caps. Try to thread everything through the grommet. I say this because my DDM kit screwed my headlight housing cause the rubber grommet dried up and broke.

I was left with a waterlogged housing and now that kit needs to be replaced. That's why I'm going retro. Don't let it scare you though cuase it's a really good kit of you do it right.

EXTRA URGENT QUESTION

If you look at the middle picture, where I have the bulb, where does the plastic part go (in the picture it is near the wires labeled D). Does it go over the bulb or does it go into the grommet ?

A quick answer is appreciated. Thanks.

Nope, not the clear one...there is a small black plastic thing - seen mid way between the bulb and the plastic cap. Where does that one go ? It protects nothing. Do I break it and remove ? Do I put it in the grommet on the plastic cap side or do I slide it over the bulb ? I know I have to remove the clear plastic base.

thanks.

Also, how is the bulb supposed to stay in there since we do not have the retaining metal clip ?

IMG00791.thumb.jpg.54d9b0707d4853a0553cbaaa3a369cc2.jpg

Also, how is the bulb supposed to stay in there since we do not have the retaining metal clip ?

H7 HID bulbs should have the same base at the end of the bulb as the old bulbs you removed. They should install back into the projectors the same and use the same metal clip to hold them in place as the old ones did. If the bases of your new bulbs don't look the same as the old ones then it sounds like a shipping problem from DDM and you might have gotten someone else's order (since you didn't get the ballasts you ordered either).

well; the legacy does not have any metal clip to hold them. I just twist the harness in and it locks in place ?

Or at least I am not aware of one.

thank you for your answers. I will trash that as well - or maybe leave it in and see if it fits like that. But as long as I am not supposed to slide it over the bulb or inside the grommet ok...if i can leave without it it is even better.

Archived