LegacyGT.com

Removing steering "damper"?

kha

So, I recently got an '08 2.5i, and I've been trying to reduce the slop in the steering. So far, I have replaced the steering rack bushings, and the AVO +caster LCA bushings are going in soon.

Here is the question. I just found out that our steering rack comes with a steering "damper" to "reduce kickback during hard cornering." Well, I think my steering wheel is unnervingly silent during hard cornering. Does anyone know exactly how the damper is connected? I'm trying to see if removing it would help with the feedback. From the diagram in a repair manual, it appears to be connected in series to the the steering shaft, as opposed to parallel, which tells me that it's not really a damper but more of an isolator. But maybe I'm looking at the wrong part?

I've read that some WRX Sti people have successfully replaced the "damper" section with a solid rod. Does anyone know if this is a possibility with our cars? Vendors? Any of you guys make anything for this?

Maybe I have too high of an expectation when it comes to steering feel, as my previous cars were 1999 passat (same as the A4), and a TSX, but I think this damper thing is probably not helping.

Anyway, that was my first real post here, and I want to say that this forum has been extremely helpful. You guys are awesome.

Mmm, I understand what you are after, and I've seen similar things in Japan. However, the damper isn't the source of your frustration. The lower control arm bushings are really the first big part of it - because there is so much movement with the stock bushings, you are getting toe changes while you are cornering, and this causes you to do a lot of mid-corner "corrections". This is what causes the feeling of slop. The LCA bushings are going to do wonders in that area.

Other areas to look at would be better tires, more aggressive alignment (to go with the LCA bushings), and something to tie down the rear end a bit better, so it's not all over the place (which will also make things feel a bit sloppy joe-ish).

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Archived