LegacyGT.com

DIY Custom Interior Trim

Do you remember what bulb type we use for the map lights?

Another factor is trying to find LED bulbs that have built-in resistors. Otherwise you may need to add-on resistors later somewhere in the wiring or risk electrical issues.

yeah ill go search my subscriptions for the LED thread, but i'm 100% sure that the people on that thread (me included) used the website that I linked to, If i remember correctly they're 31mm festoons.. I used the "6-LED HIGH FLUX" arrays for the maplights, and the 12 LED "two face" for the puddle lights

and no resistors are needed, they're made for auto applications and direct bulb replacement

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i found this thread which was the basis/beginning of all my lighting projects:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23139&highlight=festoon

the page where I talk about fitting in the 36-led array,the 25 will fit without any modification though. and scroll down for some pics of the lights at night

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23139&highlight=festoon&page=9

quoted from the thread:

"Start HERE, then scroll down to 6 LED Super High Flux for the map light bulbs ($9.99 x 2). Next, scroll to 12 LED Two-Face for what I'm using in the front door puddle lights ($11.99 x 2). Finally, scroll to 25 led High Powered SMT Array for the dome light ($24.99). Use the 31mm size for all of them. Total would be $74 for all 5 of them shipped

It looks like the fastwrx dome light has a plastic piece you install inside the lens to position the LEDs. I just used a piece of foam tape behind my LED array and used a small flat blade screwdriver to get position it exactly where I wanted it as I snapped the plastic lens back in place. The foam keeps the LED board pressed against the inside of the lens with some light pressure so it doesn't move. "

Yeah I got the dome, wagon cargo and puddle LED's from Fast WRX whom said they don't need resistors.

Then bought PIAA license plate LED bulbs that also claimed no additional resistor was needed.

Some of the other vendors / bulbs I'm not so sure about. Thanks for the tips...I'm really diggin the LED bling. Now even Apple makes an LED computer monitor that is HAUT!!!

thats the one I was talking about arc.. I fail at failing. :(

thanks for finding it.

yea DJ I was jstu reading yesterday about how the new lenovo T400 laptop uses led backlights for the screen. I've had a chance to demo one (by mistake :lol: I need to pay more attention to what I'm ordering and not just specs.) Its very very nice. nice contrast ratio and a backlight that is bright enough to light a room. I'm about to order some more for the new employees coming in. I bet it will make our senior employees jealous.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Hey darth helmet (SLA) :lol::wub: Do you have a higher res pic of the inside fo the door panel showing the plastic rivets? Maybe the original photo and you can crop it or something? I'd kinda like to see that area in more detail.

my wallet and my brain are in disagreement on this right now. :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Thanks for the pics. So.. from the looks of things here the plastic rivet is actually only the top one and the bottom is a screw.. is that true? I wonder why they would screw in the botom but plastic rivet the top.

nice camera.

cool, thanks for the writeup- going to at least take the door apart and put one red LED per door behind the rubber grippy handle for some ambient lighting in the car..

so i finished my install! one red LED behind each handle, and one white LED in the two front door cubbies

my internet is down at my house so ill post pics tomorrow after i move myself back to college

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103658

• 2 weeks later...

interesting.

I'm an led fiend. I'd love to convert all my cars lighting (save headlights) to LEDs but its not always practical and usually expensive!

interesting.

I'm an led fiend. I'd love to convert all my cars lighting (save headlights) to LEDs but its not always practical and usually expensive!

i even want to figure out how to get my headlights cooled enough to use LEDs, I even have an LED bright enough for the job. but its a hot little bitch

• 4 weeks later...
Every time this topic comes up...I post this pic. lol Removed and painted the center console pieces satin black. Came out perfect, you'd never notice. Just take your time prepping/painting. For the door faux wood pieces I used black vinyl sticker sheets to cover, then just trimmed the edges. Took some practice, but the stuff is cheap and you get the hang of it. Hasn't come loose or fallen off in 1.5yrs.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/SV6kdz7hB7I/AAAAAAAACYQ/WOyOKROPjo4/s800/014.JPG

i tried putting vinyl to cover up the door trim pieces, but it just doesn't cover up the entire piece. in the light, i can still see some brown nastiness :lol:

maybe i'm just too anal.

i even want to figure out how to get my headlights cooled enough to use LEDs, I even have an LED bright enough for the job. but its a hot little bitch

I have a bunch of 900 lumen LEDs laying around.. building flashlights with them. I think I'd use two per headlight.. idk.. maybe... not exactly sure how to mount the heatsink

i tried putting vinyl to cover up the door trim pieces, but it just doesn't cover up the entire piece. in the light, i can still see some brown nastiness :lol:

maybe i'm just too anal.

Yes, yes you are. ;) I'll admit, it took me like 3 tries on each one to get them right. If sunlight shines at exactly the right angle you can see a tiny sliver of faux wood still. Nobody who doesn't know has ever noticed though. Not like it's a piece to really actively look at so I don't notice at all either once I stopped starring at them after install. :)

• 1 month later...
I've been looking for that kind of CF vinyl that will wrap anything with the use of heat. Any ideas?

I picked up 2 yards of this stuff. It's actually carbon fiber fabric and is really easy to work with(No heat involved, just spray adhesive). Check out these pictures:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=651258&highlight=fabric

You can buy it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120397009335

or here a little cheaper from the same seller outside of eBay:

http://www.euro-spec.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=315&osCsid=b973624fe1fdda7315688ed106762b9c

• 2 months later...
Every time this topic comes up...I post this pic. lol Removed and painted the center console pieces satin black. Came out perfect, you'd never notice. Just take your time prepping/painting. For the door faux wood pieces I used black vinyl sticker sheets to cover, then just trimmed the edges. Took some practice, but the stuff is cheap and you get the hang of it. Hasn't come loose or fallen off in 1.5yrs.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/SV6kdz7hB7I/AAAAAAAACYQ/WOyOKROPjo4/s800/014.JPG

Do you have any daytime pics? The painted wood trim looks very nice!

Just want to see if i want to do that to my wood trim in my car!!

JP

• 4 months later...

Archived