LegacyGT.com

Sway Bar Dimensions and Leverage Ratios

ifbiker

I found a suspension calculator that calculates corner weights based upon a number factors including say bars, spring rates etc.

http://www.fromsteve.net/carstuff/suspension/SuspensionCalc.zip

Before spending money I'd like to fill in the blanks for 2005-2008 LGT if possible. Unfortunately my car was tapped by a semi trailer and is getting its door replaced so I can't take measurements until my car returns. Has any one measured the front and rear roll bars, measured the leverage ratio for the front and rear sway bars as well and shocks and struts? There are nice picts of the needed dimesnions on the calculator. And here is the big one, does any one know where the roll centers are, front and rear. I think many on this forum will find this tool very intersting once we have all the data.

• 2 weeks later...
I have taken measurements and found the rear roll center to be 6.75 inches and the front roll center to be 4.5 inches. I don't think these numbers are good as it shows a diameter increase of rear sway bar has little effect. My measurement increases the rear wheel rate too much and takes the leverage ratio of the strut and roll bar in the wrong direction. I'm guesiing the rear roll center is somewhere around 8 inches and the front is somewhere between 3 and 4 inches from the floor. When this is the case a rear roll bar change makes a significant move which one would expect from all the posts on sway bars. See the calculator in the previous post. Has any one else tried to take these measurements? These measrements are not easy to take when the car is sitting at ride height.

I can help you get the motion ratio on the rear trailing arm.

The distance from the hub CL to the arm pivot is 450mm. The distance from the shock mounting point to the arm pivot is 350mm.

Tell me what else you need from sway bars and control arms, I have all the stock GT components in a box next to me.

Thanks for the measurements. I think my numbers are pretty close now. Could you measure the front sway bar? I used some numbers found on the forum and just want to confirm them as I completely messed up my front sway bar measurements.

The calculator confirms the sway bar obsevations made by vel0mac

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

This result should be expected if the inputs are close. I have played around with different spring rates and drops too but haven't tied it to any observations yet.

If anyone know where this speadsheet can be hosted I'll be glad to email it so others can use it.

Archived