LegacyGT.com

LGT - sleeper or just plain lucky?

djkxgo0k

The speed kills propaganda works, I guess. 110 mph is not fast on public highway (it wasn't street I assume) given proper conditions, regardless of what underposted revenue generating stupid laws say.

it's not the double the posted limit that is the problem, it's the lady doing 50 in a 60mph zone, while someone is doing 110mph past her.... that creates the problem.

i agree that the posted limit is kinda weak most of the time. hell Division St here, if anyone has driven in Spokane, is POSTED at 30mph. then bumps to 35, and shortly after 45mph. whats the average speed on division on any given section? 40mph. Division does not have more accidents then any other street here, cause everyone does 40ish all the time. except at night for some reason it drops to about 35. even in the 45mph section people still do about 40mph. Cops drive right past people doing about 40 in a 30 all the time, sit on the side of the road and don't pull people over that are clearly doing 40 in a 30... the unofficial speed limit is pretty much 40mph on Division. If you do 30-35mph in the posted 30mph zone... you get cutoff, flipped off, honked at, yelled at... the whole 9 yards.

if everyone was doing the speed limit (30), and 1-2 guys doing 60+... you'd see accidents. not necessarily the guys doing 60... but the person over correcting for being passed/cut off at that speed, can cause an accident.

for many, driving over the limit (to an extent) does not cause a problem for the DRIVER. thats why so many think it's perfectly fine to drive faster on public roads. but the problem is you have no clue how the OTHER guy is going to react....

how many times have you been driving down a street, regardless of speed, and some IDIOT pulls out in front of you without even looking? YOU HAVE NO CONTROL over the OTHER GUY. you may have control of yourself and your car.... but you will never have the control over the other guy.

i sort of agree. i think speed limits increased disproportionately little to the improvement in automotive technology.

i also think marijuana is not a big deal. i just dont do it. and i certainly wouldnt post on online that "HAY YOU GUYS I SMOKE TEH REEFFAR!" same stuff applies here..

car for sale. PM me!

I can't remember what State or near which City now but just 1-2 days ago coming back from our vacation I was driving in the far left lane to make a pass in fairly crowded traffic. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the flashing lights so I slowed down and moved over 1 lane. It was an unmarked 4 door truck and he actually pulled over another vehicle......

my question for people when cops dont care. is your car debagged, and only left subaru emblem?

I don't think most cops realize that a spec B is code for "stealth Ferrari"... :icon_twis

Joke (for all of the "I hate the spec B crowd")

Seriously, any car can do 110, but it's a matter of how quickly you get there. The Subaru gets there surprisingly quick, hence the "sleeper" moniker. Kind of like the old Buick Regal T-Type. Everyone knew the Grand National and GNX were fast, but the T-Type was the same motor, it just wasn't as dressed up.

And I agree with Backlash: The real issue is not drivers that speed and are in control, but those that are at or under the limit and do not know how to drive. Here, the drivers just suck, even though they spend $$$ for a license. In Europe, a License runs anwhere from $1500 - $2500. They don't do stupid things (for the most part) because they would have to shell out that much money to get their license back.

Kind of like the old Buick Regal T-Type. Everyone knew the Grand National and GNX were fast, but the T-Type was the same motor, it just wasn't as dressed up.

I still to this day want to buy a GNX or T-Type.

former Co-worker had a 87 GNX, took me for a ride one night after work... believe the hype. :cool:

ok i was on the way to work doing the speed limit. this guy is going 55 in a 65 so i stomp on it and pass him. i seen a cop in the median, i think there was one on the exit ramp but anyway. about a mile or 2 down the road i see a car going through traffic behind me. he throughs on his lights and i pull me over and he rights me up for going 94 in a 65 damnit. 6 points and $368 dollars later. now i have a radar detecter.

it's not the double the posted limit that is the problem, it's the lady doing 50 in a 60mph zone, while someone is doing 110mph past her.... that creates the problem.

i agree that the posted limit is kinda weak most of the time. hell Division St here, if anyone has driven in Spokane, is POSTED at 30mph. then bumps to 35, and shortly after 45mph. whats the average speed on division on any given section? 40mph. Division does not have more accidents then any other street here, cause everyone does 40ish all the time. except at night for some reason it drops to about 35. even in the 45mph section people still do about 40mph. Cops drive right past people doing about 40 in a 30 all the time, sit on the side of the road and don't pull people over that are clearly doing 40 in a 30... the unofficial speed limit is pretty much 40mph on Division. If you do 30-35mph in the posted 30mph zone... you get cutoff, flipped off, honked at, yelled at... the whole 9 yards.

if everyone was doing the speed limit (30), and 1-2 guys doing 60+... you'd see accidents. not necessarily the guys doing 60... but the person over correcting for being passed/cut off at that speed, can cause an accident.

for many, driving over the limit (to an extent) does not cause a problem for the DRIVER. thats why so many think it's perfectly fine to drive faster on public roads. but the problem is you have no clue how the OTHER guy is going to react....

how many times have you been driving down a street, regardless of speed, and some IDIOT pulls out in front of you without even looking? YOU HAVE NO CONTROL over the OTHER GUY. you may have control of yourself and your car.... but you will never have the control over the other guy.

Of course, I said proper conditions, which includes amount of traffic.

One terrific advantage of unlimited speed limits in Germany is that even biggest morons learn to check their mirrors.

they should just put gps speed limiters on every car in the us.

and make the rate of acceleration the same for all cars.

Don't give the politicians any ideas....

they will most likely be buying controlling interest in the US auto manufacturers soon with the stupid bailouts.

Here, the drivers just suck, even though they spend $$$ for a license. In Europe, a License runs anwhere from $1500 - $2500. They don't do stupid things (for the most part) because they would have to shell out that much money to get their license back.

Exactly. And no failing to go 25 in a big circle 6 times before you pass. Some countries make you do hockey stops and aggressively avoid cones...

Also, the average elderly driver is many times more likely to have/cause an accident then the average teenager -- and we all know how we drove our first few years :) And discriminating against youth (not even going to touch the DWB "offenses") is the biggest crock.

My guess was that the cop you saw was heading to another call already. Probably just lit you up to let you know that you were getting very lucky. I would count your blessings on that one.......................and good way to shut up the fancy shmancy car owners!

I think this is most likely.

He probably had something else to do but wanted to remind you that "thats bad mmkay."

Or.. maybe he saw the whole thing and knew what you had to do and would have done the same thing. but still wanted to remind you.

Either way.. I cannot STAND it when people dont have the common courtesy to let you in on the onramp. What do they expect you to do? stop? run off the road? they can go pound sand.. I might be a jerk on the road but I will let even an annoying driver in if they have no choice otherwise.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Either way.. I cannot STAND it when people dont have the common courtesy to let you in on the onramp. What do they expect you to do? stop? run off the road? they can go pound sand.. I might be a jerk on the road but I will let even an annoying driver in if they have no choice otherwise.

yeah, i'm a very careful driver 95% of the time. but when i'm provoked, something in me just snaps. :mad:

anyhow, i'm probably gonna be driving extremely carefully from now on... too close of a call. :eek:

You guys are lucky. I received my first ticket in four years last week for doing 68 in a 60, on a damn four lane highway. My last two cars were a yellow 350z, and a red GTO, and I never so much as got pulled over. :icon_frow

How the eff is this thread still open? :lol:

OP - Street racing references on this site.... No bueno. ;)

IBTL

You guys are lucky. I received my first ticket in four years last week for doing 68 in a 60, on a damn four lane highway. My last two cars were a yellow 350z, and a red GTO, and I never so much as got pulled over. :icon_frow

you know whats funny... I've had a total of 2 tickets in my life, one for speeding, and the other for an accident.

both in white trucks....

in all of my cars... not once even pulled over. (a few pucker moments though)

Archived