LegacyGT.com

Cheap yet Solid Aftermarket GPS??

^ lol

i have a garmin 600 series, it's ok for the most part, definitely very reliable if you're taking interstates or the major highways but i find that in heavy urban/metro areas it can generate some pretty funky routes. mine does not have traffic updates so it tends to ridiculously underestimate the travel time required to go anywhere, most of the ETAs that i get would only be attainable with no traffic, all green lights and speeding 10mph above posted limits.

my awesome dash-mounted GPS:

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2725/img5225vn3.jpg

never gotten lost with it :p i will also sometimes look on google earth before heading out if its an area im not familiar with

thats a big touch screen. how do you keep the smudges off it? :lol:

One tip if you are comparing one of the many Nuvi variants: do not go by the compare feature. Also check the "Specs" and "In the Box," tabs.

For example, the Zumo [Motorcycle] 450 and 550 seem very similar in the compare page. Only in the Specs and In-the-Box tabs do you learn that the 450 doesn't include an automotive mount or AC charger.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have a Garmin Nuvi 650. I bought it last year after doing heavy research.

It seems like most all units have the good Sirf chip and decent maps, but Garmin was regarded as providing the best routing.

For the most part, it's been very good to me, but definitely does come up with a weird route once in a while.

Here are the main differences between units. You can decide what's worth paying for:

1. Screen size (usually 3.5" vs 4.3" or so)

2. Text-to-speech ( says "turn left on main street" instead of "turn left in 20 feet" )

3. FM transmitter ( lets it play the speech through your radio instead of its own speakers )

4. Traffic ( uses local traffic information to warn you of heavy traffic )

There are other items out there, but these seem to be the ones that make the major difference. I personally didn't think I'd need TTS, but found it rather useful. GPS's are also much cheaper now than they were years ago, so you might as well get it. I've also found the bigger screen to be really nice, especially when zooming out and trying to find an alternate route.

As far as FM transmitter/traffic/bluetooth, I opted not to get them since I didn't think I'd use them much.

The garmin 600/700 series is probably the way to go here.

There are other differences. Some models come with a disc and allow you to create your own routes, then download them, or save your tracks and waypoints to the PC. Some like the 760 allow multiple waypoints in a route, rather than just two, and also allow you to optimize that route. Some models have pedestrian, car, or bicycle modes: others only two.

The Nuvi 500, for example, is waterproof, comes with Topo maps, and a removable battery.But al lthe features mentioned above will not be on the cheapest models.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived