LegacyGT.com

shift kit for 5EAT?

elbarto74

Does anyone know of a trans shift improvement kit for the '05 5EAT? I got one for my truck a year ago, made a world of difference, firmer shifts, better milage, better towing/acceleration. It was simple to install just a matter of drilling a couple precise holes and changing out some check balls and a spring or two.

I was just wondering if there was a kit for the Subies with autos.

Thanks

Matt

holy shite! 800 bucks for a shift improvement kit! I bought a shift kit for my truck for less than a hundred bucks, and i installed it myself in about an hour. this place needs your valve body sent to them abd they modify it. Wow!

I was looking for a more user friendly and frankly cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions but i think i'll keep looking

Matt

thanks AKgirl er AKLGT you are a good resource for al things Subaru. I asked you about hte hydro deal you had a while ago. very good write up.

Well dang it, i wish places like B&M (where i got my shift improvement kit for my truck) would offer more import stuff other than just stupid shift knobs and crappy taillights or lame a$$ neon under body lighting.

well i guess i'll be saving up for that IPT VB upgrade. thanks for the help.

matt

Well you could get a Rallitek tranny mount, they say it improves the shifting. This may not be what your looking for but its a big difference $32 vs $800 although you cannot compare a vb mod to a tranny mount thats about all the options I see you have for what you want. I cannot testify and say it works or not but many others on this forum probably can. When I go 20g or vf-52 i will probably go with the VB mod, hope this helps!

-chris

I have the trans mount...still sitting on a shelf in my garage.It was installed for less than a day.

Made the car buzz and rattle like lawnmower.NVH was horrible and did nothing to improve the shift performance.It only made me feel everything from the drivetrain inside the car.

thanks AKgirl er AKLGT you are a good resource for al things Subaru. I asked you about hte hydro deal you had a while ago. very good write up.

Well dang it, i wish places like B&M (where i got my shift improvement kit for my truck) would offer more import stuff other than just stupid shift knobs and crappy taillights or lame a$$ neon under body lighting.

well i guess i'll be saving up for that IPT VB upgrade. thanks for the help.

matt

no problem. currently, frank_ster is working on something, a DIY kinda VB mod. we're all waiting to see what happens though. So far, the IPT VB is the only real option for now. so who knows. they do have the kit to do it on their website I belive, but I don't know anything about trans to try and attempt that on my own.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I disagree that the transmission mount firms up the shifts, I think more than anything it transfers more NVH in the passenger cabin so in turn you think you feel firmer shifts. I cannot honestly say my 5EAT's shifting behavior has changed in any noticeable way. Yes, shift points are firm, but they were firm before. I just didn't feel them, but I could see it on the tach. With the mount, I see AND feel them. Then again I may have dull senses but I will argue not when it comes to my 5EAT. If anything, my senses are TOO sensitive ;)

Elbarto, are you stock? I'd say 800 bucks is a heck of a premium to pay if all you are looking for is feeling-under-the-butt upgrade. All said and done it will cost more with shipping and having to pay someone to pull down and reinstall the VB unless you do it yourself, add the ATF fluid in the mix as well.

^ Just letting you know I stated that "they" (rallitek) says it firms up the shifts, not me. I'm already thinking about the vb mod for when I go stage 2, hopefully not to far away. Still being stock I can say the shifts aren't immidiate and that with more power the long shifts will become alot more obvious.I want more power!!!!!!!!

Archived