LegacyGT.com

Let's talk wax...

I spent 5 hours working on my car after I got it from the dealer. There are little glue lines from the sheets that are over your car during transportation as well as 'rail dust' caused by polution during transit. That kind of stuff is usually removed and cleaned up by the dealer, but I wanted to do it myself on my car. I would have done it all over again when they gave me the car anyway.

Clay is probably a good idea just in case. If you put your hand in a baggie and run it over the surface of the car you can feel if you need to clay or not. The need to clay isn't always a visual thing. Also, right now you are just looking at an unprotected car. It may be clean, but it won't stay that way very long if you don't protect it from oxidation and contamination. A good paint sealant or wax is highly recommended for a new car. Its like buying a new leather coat. When you pick it up it is usually up to you to waterproof it and treat it. You can make arrangements to have all that done for you prior to picking it up, but then there is the question of if they used the right products or process. If you are that anal about your car (as I am) then doing it yourself is much easier than wondering if they used something nasty on your car.

I'm still working on an article that will give some good advice on what you can purchase locally to care for your car, but if you are interested in more advanced advice then check out what I have already on ocdetails.com. It gives good polish, sealant, wax, and other car care product advice that you might want to look into. Now that PremiumAutoCare.com has vendor status on LGT.com we can probably look forward to some good deals for us. :) I know I do.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clay will remove contamination that is embedded in the surface. It does something that paint cleaners and polishes cannot do.

Polish is abrasive and can clean the paint and remove swirls and fine line scratches. Probably not going to be necessary on a new car. A non abrasive paint cleaner would probably be best.

I would always suggest a sealant just because they look as good or better than wax (according to a lot of people) and they protect better (fact). Wolfgang is my sealant of choice right now. You can order a kit from www.premiumautocare.com that will give you everything you need to get started. Their pre cleaner is an excellent base for the sealant and I've never talked to or read anything from anybody who hasn't absolutely loved how that product looks. It is easy to apply and doesn't stain plastic trim if some were to accidently get on it. You can apply it by hand or machine. It is just a really good product that I can recommend without a problem.

Wax always goes on top of a sealant. A sealant won't bond to the oils in a wax. Look at a sealant as super glue and a wax is just wax. If you were to dip your finger in wax then it would just be a shell that you could wriggle your finger around in and pull out. Super glue is another story. That is how a sealant is. It bonds to your car and that is why it is such great protection and has such great durabilty. That is also why there is a 24 hour cure time before you should wax over the top or add another coat. There is a chemical process happening on your car and you need to let it do that if you want the most durability you can get.

OCDETAILS BLOG

NXT is actually not bad stuff. I just pulled out my NXT Spray Wax the other day and gave it a shot on the car. I tell ya.... that stuff is amazing. Its not a quick detailer spray like so many other products. Its the only product of its kind that I have ever used. It really did make a big improvement in appearance after I sprayed it on. I've got nothing but praise for the NXT line (except the dash protectant that is too greasy). If you are shopping off the shelf then I really haven't found much that works better for most people than NXT. Of course, if you want to try some of the finer things in life, then I can definitely make some suggestions depending on what you are looking for in appearance. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

NXT is actually not bad stuff. I just pulled out my NXT Spray Wax the other day and gave it a shot on the car. I tell ya.... that stuff is amazing. Its not a quick detailer spray like so many other products. Its the only product of its kind that I have ever used. It really did make a big improvement in appearance after I sprayed it on. I've got nothing but praise for the NXT line (except the dash protectant that is too greasy). If you are shopping off the shelf then I really haven't found much that works better for most people than NXT. Of course, if you want to try some of the finer things in life, then I can definitely make some suggestions depending on what you are looking for in appearance. ;)

You're right, I've had great results with it, easy on, easy off. The spray wax is ok, I use it along with the QD to touch up. Teh interior stuff is annoying - I need something else definately.

The spray wax isn't really meant for durability. Its just a quick wax process for times when you don't really want to spend the time to use something else. I wouldn't trust it doing much for more than a week or so. Its worth it for situations like mine where I know the weather is going to be bad this weekend, but it sure was fine for 3 days of the week. :) I didn't want to spend the time waxing my car for only three days of beauty, so I used the NXT Spray Wax instead. It looks just like the NXT Tech Wax in my opinion. It just doesn't last as long. Still, its nice for when you want a freshly waxed looking car minutes before a car show or something.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah I knew it wouldnt last longer than a week or so, but it only lasted for about 4 days before it looked as though it wasnt even there at all. I still think it might have been the NE winter weather, plus the vehicle hadnt been clayed/polished since last October. It did look decent for the few days that it was applied. Maybe this summer.:)

Stay away from those blades!!! I bought one and used it ONCE on my 96 Impala...Black of course, and it scratched the hood to $hit. Every time I wash the car, I spray on some of Eagle One's "Wax as U dry" and then dry the car. I've washed the car maybe 10 times already, and the swirls and scratches are barely there. If you just dry it you'll scratch the paint from just using a towel.

I agree with others, as long as the blade is clean it will not scratch your car.

I have been using one for the past 4 years and never had a problem

The tool is only as safe as the person using it. You can scratch your car with a silk towel if you allow it to drag grit across the paint. If your car is well waxed then you shouldn't need to use the blade on anything but the windows anyway. Mine has never touched the paint on my LGT simply because there isn't enough water to really swipe off. On the windows it is great though. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

What product would you recommend on the body parts that are not body-colored? On the Outback I have it below the bumper, the splash guards, rocker panel, and on the top surface of the rear bumper. Should I use a product for plastic/rubber like 303 or wax them as though they were painted parts? I don't want to put wax on them and have them turn white. (also still waiting for the Wolfgang order to come in). Thanks.

As long as its a painted surface and not just pourous black plastic then you can use the same stuff you use on the rest of the car. Nothing specific for those. On just plastic parts I would use the same stuff you use on your dash. Don't wax or put anything else on the black plastic parts on your car that wouldn't go on the dash. Just treat it like your dash and it will be fine.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Where can I get good wax clay or whatever.

I want to go to the store and look at the bottles.. I don't want to buy this online... where can I find it? Auto parts stores? Walmart?

thanks

I know you don't want to go online, but I would urge you to try wolfgangs products. They have a clay bar as well. It is the best stuff I have ever used. Lasts a looooooooooooooooooong time.

The tool is only as safe as the person using it. You can scratch your car with a silk towel if you allow it to drag grit across the paint. If your car is well waxed then you shouldn't need to use the blade on anything but the windows anyway. Mine has never touched the paint on my LGT simply because there isn't enough water to really swipe off. On the windows it is great though. :)

My Stihl leaf blower does a fine job, followed by a good microfiber towel.:icon_bigg

This article has some good off the shelf suggestions. If you ask me, if you are shopping locally then it doesn't get better than S100 wax. The only place you can find it is at Harley Davidson dealerships, so start there. Other bike shops might have it too, but Harley is a pretty sure thing. Other good products would be Meguiar's Gold Class or Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

OCDETAILS BLOG

This article has some good off the shelf suggestions. If you ask me, if you are shopping locally then it doesn't get better than S100 wax. The only place you can find it is at Harley Davidson dealerships, so start there. Other bike shops might have it too, but Harley is a pretty sure thing. Other good products would be Meguiar's Gold Class or Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

You have a detailing business?

NICE!

thanks for the suggestion I'll look into the NXT sounds like good shelf stuff.. however I haven't seen it at my local super center.

Guess I'll pay double and go to kragen or auto zone.

Archived