LegacyGT.com

So I went to pick up an oil filter on Friday

sounds like a cracked oil feed line thats your worst possible situation honestly it sounds like residual oil from a tech being sloppy most likely.

They did a clutch job maybe 3K miles ago as well. I guess im going back up there and will have them investigate it....:redface:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
I've gone through quite a few of the blue ones with no problems. They are made by Honeywell.

Not that that makes them great. Honeywell (the old Allied Signal) also makes Fram. Honeywell has whored their name out in the past few years on a wide variety of products. I have a couple friends that work for Honeywell. Allied Signal is trading on the reputation of the Honeywell name after the companies "merged" a few years ago.

It is still ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

I did an oil change today and I did mount the Mahle/Knecht OC195 filter, which is a third-party replacement for the Subaru original filter.

I don't predict any problems with this filter, but I went into the Mahle web site and found out that this filter is also used on a variety of vehicles.

For some reason I think that our oil filters are small, but obviously they are able to cope with the normal conditions. I just wonder if there is a list of alternative filters for special conditions. A larger filter should be able to have a larger filter area, which means lower pressure fall and ability to catch more dirt before the bypass valve takes over.

And as long as it fits on the thread and gasket and inside the headers there shouldn't be a problem as most cartridge filters works the same way.

And I did also find out today that the oil plug has the same diameter/thread as the oil filter. That may prove useful in cases where you get stuck in an awkward situation needing a compatible oil filter.

453747.png

And as long as it fits on the thread and gasket and inside the headers there shouldn't be a problem as most cartridge filters works the same way.

Absolutely not true. 99% of aftermarket filters do not meet Subaru's spec for the bypass valve spring rate. Subaru filters use unusually high tension bypass valve. I am only aware of a single Purolator filter meeting the spec (don't recall the part number, but that should be easily googleable). Otherwise one should use only OEM filters.

Archived