LegacyGT.com

Question about badging...

grimbeaver

Relax, everybody. The acrylic foam core 3M double-sided tape (not the trim adhesive and not the clear scotch tape) has a near monopoly on the business: badges, bodysides moldings, even some big claddings and wheelflares on SUV's. It's available at any automotive store (it's got a red lining) and is the product that the badges came with in the first place. It's the right thing to use, and it is NOT permanent. I believe the Subie badges are the 1.1mm thickness, but I'll check that and get back to you. The hard part will be cutting it to fit the badging letters - Subaru buys it as a die-cut piece that matches perfectly. I agree that it would probably be easiest just to buy a new badge, which will have the tape on it already, but there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself, either. Make sure you clean the sheetmetal before applying the badging: 3M recommends a quick alcohol wipe, and it also helps if the surfaces are at room temp or above.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Now, for a really dumb question.

What is the best way to de-badge the car?

Just rip them off?!?!?

dental floss in a 'saw' motion between the badge and car... then go back and clean up the gunk with some of the goo remover.

brute force prying works too, just be carefull or you could scratch your car or bust the crap out of your fingers.

Now, for a really dumb question.

What is the best way to de-badge the car?

Just rip them off?!?!?

Got a good heat gun or a heavy duty hair dryer? Try heating up the emblem first and then use dental floss to get it started. Should basically just "peel off" at that point. Then clean up the individual attachment spots.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Following those guidelines, I was amazed at 1) how easy they came off and 2) how good SWP looks debadged. :D

Wait till you see it debadged and tinted. Dayang...that thing looks good.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived