LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs 2002(?) GTP

I am running stage 1 v1.01 @ 93 octane on an un-limited GT 5mt with 11k on the odometer....

I was cruising along and stumbled upon a red Grand Prix up ahead driving about 60 in the fast lane of the deserted 3 lane highway. I didn’t just pass him on the right because I wanted to dance with this guy. Suddenly he took off, and slowed to about 70 mph, changing lanes to allow me to get beside him.

We were rolling, speed matched, at about 70mph with my bumper at his side view mirror when he floored it and lurched ahead a tad. I was in 4th gear already, so I stomped, my bumper was just at the rear of his front door when boost spiked.

I walked away at a decent clip, probably 3 carlengths before he gave up, so I finished out 4th gear for good measure before returning to my cruising speed.

There wasn't any traffic on the road, so I don’t feel bad about racing the guy, It was a very satisfying win because there was no question that my car had an effortless victory and I could have began the race in 3rd gear to exaggerate my advantage. With stage 1, I find myself taking advantage of that disgusting slab of torque found a bit lower in the revs. I’m doing all in my power not to purchase and install a downpipe!

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

Guest *Jedimaster*

Cool- Hatt- you mentioned boost spiking- I have the AP Stage 1 v1.01 also and haven't had this yet- is it something that happens a lot?

Also, was this a GT ot a GTP that you raced?

It was definetly a GTP

I get a spike up to 15.5-15.6 psi then it levels at 15.0 -`14.8 and falls slowly to 12.2 at redline. This is all indicated on the live boost read on the AP

Edit: this is my first turbo car, so I think thats what would be considered a spike :confused: not sure though, I thought that was normal

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

Guest *Jedimaster*
It was definetly a GTP

I get a spike up to 15.5-15.6 psi then it levels at 15.0 -`14.8 and falls slowly to 12.2 at redline. This is all indicated on the live boost read on the AP

Edit: this is my first turbo car, so I think thats what would be considered a spike :confused: not sure though, I thought that was normal

I'm really not sure- I've heard of spikes talked about as a bad thing for the car. I think it usually means that it boosts up high then settles low. Might have something to do with PTFB, but again, not really sure.

Nice Kill, I had a similar experience on an onramp the other day. I was first in line at two lane stop light leading onto the express-way, but the ramp merges to one lane half way down. I am in the left hand lane (the lane that does no have to merge), and no one is stopped to my left. The light turns green, and I take off and quickly upshift to second, then this red Acura Legend comes flying around the turn onto the ramp in the other lane. He has a GTP on his ass, and they are giving it all they've got. Keep in mind we are midway through the turn onto the ramp, and I figure oh what the hell I allready have possesion of the correct lane. Second gear roll on from about 3500 rpms, starting about 4 feet behind the Acura's rear bumper. With no trouble I am able to pass the Acura, by third gear I have a car length on him and he has to fall in behind me. By the end of third it is like 4 car lengths, point made and I slow down to hightway speed as we merge. Well apparently me and Acura boy walked the Pontiac and the guy driving it comes steaming by and flips us both off (at least he flipped me off). The driver of the Acura pulls alond side we grin at each other and wave, so he was pretty cool about the whole thing.

I suppose technically I should post this sepparately, but as long as we are putting the knuckles to Pontiacs we may as well keep it on one thread!

I am running stage 1 v1.01 @ 93 octane on an un-limited GT 5mt with 11k on the odometer....

I was cruising along and stumbled upon a red Grand Prix up ahead driving about 60 in the fast lane of the deserted 3 lane highway. I didn’t just pass him on the right because I wanted to dance with this guy. Suddenly he took off, and slowed to about 70 mph, changing lanes to allow me to get beside him.

We were rolling, speed matched, at about 70mph with my bumper at his side view mirror when he floored it and lurched ahead a tad. I was in 4th gear already, so I stomped, my bumper was just at the rear of his front door when boost spiked.

I walked away at a decent clip, probably 3 carlengths before he gave up, so I finished out 4th gear for good measure before returning to my cruising speed.

There wasn't any traffic on the road, so I don’t feel bad about racing the guy, It was a very satisfying win because there was no question that my car had an effortless victory and I could have began the race in 3rd gear to exaggerate my advantage. With stage 1, I find myself taking advantage of that disgusting slab of torque found a bit lower in the revs. I’m doing all in my power not to purchase and install a downpipe!

Tightwork, was it a coupe or sedan? I'm not talkin shit or nothin because an LGT in stage 1 is definitly faster then a (stock?) gtp. but the race would have been much much better if you guys raced from a stop, or a slower speed. Because our cars aint got shit at 70... We only have a 4gear automatic and our spedo goes to 110. Gtps are alll low end baby.

Now could we get Epitaph to read this ?

Good job !

I've been kind of busy, but i drop by here from time to time, and i'm here all day, evvvvery sunday.

Your forgetting i'm a legacy fan too? ;) i dont care which car wins in a race

• 2 weeks later...
It was definetly a GTP

15.6? ... LOL that aint a spike...

When I had my WRX i ran 17 PSI on a custom tuned STG II. Before I fixed the boost management I got spikes above 20 psi... Thats a spike! Good thing the thing was running pig rich.

Be careful of those GTP's though. As they're supercharged, they can be made to go quick for little $$$.

Check out this link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac--Grand-Prix-Drag-Racing.html

The times from 14.8s - 11.9s in the 1/4 mile are all dominated by GTP's in various states of tune.

- CD

thass riight our engines are quite mod-friendly...

Cars with power needs less FWD... its nonsense...

fwd sure does suck, esp with all the torq. but i;m going to miss the peel outs

I've owed a 1999 +2002 GTP. Both with 3.4" pulleys, borla exhaust, CAI. They where awesome stop light to stop light cars. Best ET 13.88 @ 100.22. My Suby definetly fly's better top end. I'd love to have raced them, probably would've been a good race.

I've owed a 1999 +2002 GTP. Both with 3.4" pulleys, borla exhaust, CAI. They where awesome stop light to stop light cars. Best ET 13.88 @ 100.22. My Suby definetly fly's better top end. I'd love to have raced them, probably would've been a good race.

Pretty sweet numbers for little $$$! :cool:

-CD

I have all of that, and more :)

Speakings of my grand prix, its in the shop right now. Last night after work when i was driving it home it made a weird noise everytime the wheel rotated (like a squeak but a little different) and when i was going over 30 and let off the gas there was a rattle of sorts and then the car would shake.... First real problem ive ever had with the car

Archived