LegacyGT.com

Falken AZENIS RT-615

Drift Monkey

I think after two buddies both had several problems (mostly with the tires being out of round causing either bad vibrations or pulling to one side) with Falken tires, I'd stay away completely.

Oh, and they are the only two people I know who've bought Falken tires.

That's batting a big fat ZERO.

This tire has been the talk of the racing community since last November. The compound is slightly better than the RT-215s. Still Street Touring legal for SCCA Solo2 ST racing. Treadwear at 200 qualifies it. Comes in a lot of other larger sizes where the RT-215 left off. This is one of the few tires that are the hype for 2005 for racing use (eventhough they are street summer DOT-legal tires).

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/22/990

Keefe

Keefe

I've got Falken Ziex 512s, and they are great. I'm considering going to the 615s, but days like today in So Cal (very wet) make me glad I've got the 512s.

Re Falkens, I know Luke at Tirerack doesn't have a very high opinion of them, but then again, Tirerack doesn't sell Falkens. I would have absolutely no qualms shelling our for the old Azenis, the new 615s, the 451s, or the 512s, depending upon your needs.

The RT-615 and RT-215 are designed specifically for SCCA Solo Street Tour racing to keep the cost of tires down as well as be competitive. The other notable tire would be Kumho Ecsta MX. These two tires literally killed the old Kumho Ecsta 712s performance. Sure, you can use Bridgestone S-03s or any other fancy and expensive tire. But the idea is to keep the cost down (and frankly, S-03s are not as popular as the Falken and Kumhos because they are not any faster.. see National Level competition results). Even at the Mazda-Rev-It-Up events, the RT-215s were used on the Mazda6s and 3s. So no complaints there (yea, so what if they sponsored the event, I dont see Bridgestone or any other tire company sponsoring the event).

Fact is, Falken made a name for themselves through SCCA racing (it's gotta say something about at least those two particular tires). The D1s (Falken Azenis ST-115s) are used in drifting events because of good breakaway grip and slip angles.. there's no reason to spend $1000s on RS04 Hoosier tires for drifting when their breakaway point is soo high up there. Falken designed tires that work with specific motorsports, and the motorsports they chose are not much different than a lightly-modded street legal car. Remember, the idea behind these tires are geared to meet regulations for classed racing.

Tires that are legal for SCCA Street Touring for Solo Racing are as follows (for the most part):

-The tire must be available in 4 different rim sizes for a total of 7 tire sizes

-Treadwear must be greater than 140

-Tire must be DOT approved

Keefe

Keefe

They wear out faster than other 200 rated treadware tires. They do stick like glue for autoX. Not all that great for lapping days because they got Greasy when hot. The Kumho MX's are better suited for daily/roadcourse.

With that said, Hopefully the new 615's will be better under Hot conditions. Sucks that the price jumped so high.

yea, the older RT-215s are pretty picky in the temperature range, but I havent had a problem with tire wear (then again, that's toe alignment talking.. the tire's sidewalls are soo stiff that you dont need to run any more than 1/16" in or out).

Supposedly, the RT-615 should be a better overall compound, but I dont expect a lot out of it since it's still a street tire.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived