LegacyGT.com

Stage 2, 5EAT slipping/struggling to hold power

fishbone

pardon me asking a dumb question, so whats the difference between a flare and slipping? and how would i'd be able to tell the difference between the 2 when driving? :confused: Im confused as i dont know how the "riding the clutch feeling" as fishbone posted feels like since i never drove a MT :redface:

bump.. anyone?? Slipping vs. flare :confused:

bump.. anyone?? Slipping vs. flare :confused:

Never had a slip but i'll explain my experience with a flare. A flare is when the car sits in what i can only describe as neutral for about a split second before the it engages the next gear, during this time the rpms could climb 200-500 rpm.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

I just installed the IPT valve body, but I haven't yet reset the TCU (I will tomorrow). My mods, driving habits and install schedule are very similar to fishbone with 10K less miles. I noticed a major increase in slippage (revs increasing, minimal acceleration) after the VB install especially with cold fluid through all the gears that wasn't before. I don't plan to drive it except to dealer and hopefully get a "realistic" assessment of the transmission.

drd, how do you plan on going about resetting the TCU? Only the dealer with an Subar Select tool can do that afaik but if you are familiar with another procedure I'd be interested to find it out.

Also, per IPT, the VB needs about 200 miles to properly "break in" and for the transmission to get used to it. Up until that point she will drive strange but I am not sure if slipping is part of that.

I just got back from the dealership. I had to take the backroads and avoid situations that require sudden acceleration. $110 later, the TCU is reset and at least the car is functional. On the drive back, I noticed under a steady, average throttle pressure, the car shifts normally except when it gets to fourth, it wants to kick down to third, then when I back off on the throttle, it will shift back up to fourth, then fifth. WOT, shifting seems normal from the start.

It is difficult to compare before vs. after the VB as the vehicle has been down for five weeks and the TCU will be learning for a couple of hundred miles. I'll have to let it cool to see if that changes. I'm curious if the learning should be done varying conditions or does it matter ie. in drive vs. sport mode vs. manumatic?

So does the TCU have to be reset when getting the VB mod? I'll be doing the VB in a couple months

Some have done without, manual says you should. My personal experience is I couldn't get to the dealer fast enough, literally!

And by a professional grade scan tool, SeeeeeYa means that your typical Autozone scantool will not work. I know for sure that Subaru Select Monitor will do it, it's the tool of choice of Subaru technicians. At the dealer, anyway.

IPT says you are OK to not reset it, but I guess not all 5EAT are created equal. I think I will reset mine just to be safe.

it is very interesting how the tranny shifts softer after the valve body mod ( before the tcu is reset ) .. is this typical of all valve body installs ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

it is very interesting how the tranny shifts softer after the valve body mod ( before the tcu is reset ) .. is this typical of all valve body installs ?

Actually my shifts became more pronounced, like the car is letting me know its shifting.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

that is what i would expect harder shifts .. What they probably do is prehaps a resistor mod on the pressure control sol and maybe drill out some orafices and limit travel to acumulators ( if any )

So if any thing i would suspect harder shifts then the tcu taking that away with learinging .. humm

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived