LegacyGT.com

Trying to assess some possible front diff damage

Ridgeracer

Hey all...Here is my unfortunate story. Last week I complete tore open my right front inner CV boot. So since the dealer up by me happened to have the boot in stock, I decided to have them replace it. So now about 1 week later, guess what happens. The same CV joint breaks...It drives like my clutch is slipping in all five gears. I had to drive it home real easy for 55 miles (all highway mostly)to park it at my house it CT since I was at work today (only car I own). It felt fine this morning when going to work but must have completely failed somewhere during the commute. Now my question is, what damage if any should I expect with the front diff??
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

to me it sounds like the axel that they changed the boot on wasn't properly putback in . and it poped out ..

the clutch slippage that you are feeling is mostlikely the center diffrential clutch, yes i'm sure it will tighten up a bit when oil gets hot .. but not enough to drive your car around .. you realy shouldn't be driving it in that case .. jack up the 1 front wheel in question put he car in gear and turn the wheel .. if you can .. there is definatly a problem there .. and go check is the axel is properly put back in ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Hey sorry guys. Update...I had the car towed back to the dealership (flatbed of course..plus they knew how to load a lowered car pretty darn well..lol). The inner spline shaft that goes into the stub shaft has a c-clip to hold it in. Clip broke in two. Splines were fine as well as the tripod joint. I think they reused the original the first time around. Anyways all is good....
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived