LegacyGT.com

Tire Cut

Zanatech

I had one of my tires cut (slashed... dunno why just one). I don't have the money to replace all four. i can afford one replacement tire (i was just laid off and really need to save the money since i am relocating for a different job). now i did the math and the circumfrence of the tire is .294 different than a new tire. t

his would void the warranty since its not in the 1/4 rule. would it be ok to run it like this for two weeks or should i locate someone to shave the new tire down?

cheap all seasons don't have good enough reviews for snow as far as i'm concerned (sold my dedicated winters after last season) and id rather be safe for the month or so i am continuing to live in the fridged north.

You did math or took tape measure?

How did you come with .294?

Krzys

PS Being laid off sucks. Good luck.

tape measure? napkin at applebees duh! no, a friend of mine is an engineer/math wiz and i just called him up. we got the math wrong because we based it off only 3/32" of tread being worn off. actually it was 5/32". i expected the tires to wear fast, since i do drive aggressively (no race style cornering/braking etc... or stupid driving like weaving in and out of traffic) but 18k miles and only having 6/32" tread left? thats almost half of its usable life. 90k miles out of the hydroedge would have to have been babied. great tires all around but not for an aggressive driver (i was expecting 60-65k).

As for replacement i looked around for used tires and couldn't find anything available. (if i chose to order the one replacement tire, 7-10 business days...) so i bought falken sincera tires from discount tire direct (they credited me for unused life on the tires so i ended up getting a great deal). we will see how they hold up (id be happy to get (30k-35k out of them).

and i'm slightly marketable. i'm a male legal secretary/exec. assistant... yeah its... yeah.

tape measure? napkin at applebees duh!

Theory is fine but nothing beats real life. Small error is tread depth measurement and your circumference calculation is off. Irregular wear and assumption about uniform tread depth is off. Tape to measure circumference gives you much lower error.

Regards to math wiz from fellow engineer.

Krzys

Archived