LegacyGT.com

Clutch advice

SubieAA

ACT clutch seems like the only real choice from STOCK.

They claim to handle 420 ft lbs torque..

Where does the OEM clutch Rate?

Also, can you all describe what you notice when the clutch is nearing the end of its life?

Does anyone just have it FAIL on them in the middle of driving?

When you say slipping... what is it doing exactly?

I'm at 60,000 miles.

I know someone with the same car that had to replace the clutch at 40,000 so I'm wondering when that day will come...

thanks for the info...

For my clutch, it started to slip in 3rd, you really noticed it when it was colder outside. It shouldnt just "go out" on you in the middle of driving though, there are definite signs before (slipping).

As for clutches, just got my ACT from Fredbeansparts. They were great and sent it out immediately, they also helped with questions I had during the install and many more I had before I actually ordered it.

One thing to note... BUY EXTRA FLYWHEEL BOLTS. Just in case... Unless your close to a Subaru dealership with them in stock... My car was down for a couple of days because of 1 dang bolt that was stripped out (previous installer). They are only like $2 a piece, but well worth having a couple on hand.

Look for an 06 WRX flywheel over on nasioc as well, got mine for a really good deal, had it resurfaced and it works great.

Good luck with the install.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I noticed the slip when trying to accelerate between 3Krpm and 4Krpm in higher gears, the clutch can not engage the wheel axle's properly. The new clutch is nice.

Fredbeansparts were far cheaper than ACT, oh well.

Executer485 - did you do the job yourself? Any recommendations on where to pick up the T55 plus socket without spending a fortune?

Yes I did the job, I had a friend helping me though, so it was much easier with help.

You'll need a T60 (not sure if 65 would work) for the Transmission oil plug as well.

As for where I found the T55 socket, I went to the auto hobby shop on base and did the job there. Got to use their lift, tools, etc. It was extremely nice. Also, they had a printout for us that the dealerships use to change out the clutch and copied it for us. Basically took out the drivetrain, exhaust, the front axles, dropped the tranny, changed the clutch (get some extra flywheel bolts just in case, the retard that put in the flywheel before - it was some shop that was supposed to be specialized in SPEC stuff, overtightened and stripped out one of the bolts, so we had to drill the head off :S )

Overall, if we didnt have to drill off the head, and if we didnt have to wait for the new bolts cause I'm over 2 hours away from any Subaru dealership (no auto parts stores, or import places had anything in town) it took about 3 hours to get it all out, about an hour to change out the rear main seal - it was a bugger, and about 3-4 hours putting it back together. Not too bad, but we had some problems which made it all suck.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 2 months later...
Well, $2,200 for new clutch, flywheel, 60K service, I can think about stage 2. I could have saved ~400 on parts if I had bought better. Next time and thanks for the advise. The DSG guys were cool.

Update:

1:00AM today, I have flown back from a ten day trip to California. I am picking my car up from Park, shuttle and fly at Logan. My car has been parked in first gear and I parked it and locked it, no one else drove it.

When I go to depress the clutch to turn the ognition, the clutch feels really heavy. And when I try to turn the ignition on, the car lurches forward as the car is still engaged in first gear, evn though the car should not start that way. Bottom line is that I can change gears easily enough without the engine on, but if I turn the engine on, you can not get into or out of gear (you barely can get out of gear, but definititely not into), the clutch feels weirdly heavy and springy, especially toward the bottom of the range, and the car wants to move forward even with the clutch pedal depressed which means the plates are still in touch.

Long story short, I was able to drive the car in second gear to my house in nearby East Boston, and using the back roads, to Dentsport garage later this morning.

I wonder if these guys did the install right? The car ran well enough until I came back from my ten day trip yesterday.

The main guy at Dentsport did not know what happened, but he thinks the ACT clutch failed, perhaps the springs specifically.

I just spent 2K 3 months ago parts and labor. What do you guys think? :confused:

Archived