LegacyGT.com

Removing a tough oil filter

Couldn't get the filter loose on a car, not mine, that some oil change place put on. My son tried with a strap wrench and the filter began to crush. I tried the metal wrench and couldn't get it to go small enough. I have a number of wrenches, nothing seemed to work.

I knew I had to make the filter bigger or wrench smaller. I found a spare silicone Vibrant coupler on the shelf. I slipped it over the filter, put the wrench on and thought the wrench slipped it was so easy.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN0236.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lol....agreed. Had to do the screwdriver trick with my 06 Civic SI at the 3000 mile mark/first oil change. No room for foot though, so I had to tap it with a hammer/sledge.

FYI....I had to drive the screwdriver through at about 6 different points. That's how tight it was. Took me 20 minutes of putting holes in the filter/tapping with a hammer to get it hand-loose.

Ridiculous.

Damn, I thought having it that tight would crush the gasket -

hence the usual advice to hand-tighten the filter to avoid

over-tightening.

P.S. What is a "silicone Vibrant coupler" ??

These couplers attach the charge pipes to the intercooler and turbo chargers and to the throttle body.

Next time you see a car with a after market turbo set up you notice the silicone couplers. Unless it a high pressure set up and they use one of the metal style clamps.

In this picture on the passenger side of the intercooler you'll see a black coupler, follow it back and you'll see a red one.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0752.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived