LegacyGT.com

most miles on stock tires

Cardozo

los angeles, but with regular trips to the snow. last winter i drove through some major weather going from la --> Seattle --> sun valley, id --> la. i came from a corrado, so even with the apparently shoddy tires i've always felt well planted in the suby, at least in relative terms

Funny, I finally swapped out my RE92s today for Toyo Proxes and I made it to 49,600 miles. I have been wanting to get rid of them since last fall but decided that if I could make it through extremely awful snowstorms going to Vermont in about 1 1/2 feet of snow, that they had done me right and that I had to hang onto them for longer. They were good to me I guess, although for the past three months, I have been babying them and not really wanting to drive too crazy in the rain etc.

What a world of difference the Toyos made after driving back to work after lunch today...

What's amazing to me is the treadlife rating on our cars....what is it, 140? 160? How worthless is that....these tires will last forever considering their size. It's pretty impressive :)

Don't take your tires to the wear indicators, take it to twice the wear indicators (4mm) that is when you've gotten maximum useful life without sacrificing serious wet/snow traction.

I'm actually happy mine will make it to 30k with plenty of treadlife left. Means I can be assured of them lasting 1 1/2 years :)

Joe

What is the treadlife supposed to indicate...? Im sure there is some scientific test that they run to quantify treadlife, Im just not down with the lingo yet.

The thing that made me want to replace my tires is they started getting the tiny little marks almost flush with the rubber on the tire. The larger treadmarks still had at least 4/32 IMO, but I thought that the other slots in the rubber had to be there for at least some technical advantage for grip.

i just ordered my first replacement set (kumho asx). 61,000 miles on the stockers, it took that long to get close to the wear indicators.

Good job on not throwing some serious money away. Mine were fine tread depthwise at 39k miles and would have likely made it close to your # but it just would not stop or turn well on wintery stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I too just put on new kumho asx's. So far they are OK, nothing surprising based on info from a ton of reviews. I notice the road noise, but thats not really a concern of mine as long as the performance is there. Also it could be due to the RE92's being quieter because the tread was mostly gone...

I had 48,300 on the stock RE92's, they were scary in rain and snow and though they weren't down to the wear bars, I wasn't going to risk it for another winter. Kumhos have performed great in rain so far.

That's the problem with taking the re92's out to 50k miles or whatever you aim for.....exactly how much money are you saving if you slide sideways and bend a rim or, god forbid, actually hurt yourself and your car?

I had a 95 volvo 850 turbo that had a set of bfgoodrich touring t/a's. Anyway who knows that tire knows that it wears like iron. I was poor in college and pushed the treadlife for 5,000 miles...even though they weren't bald, they were definitely not good either.

I took a turn in the rain, started to slide into the other lane, and made a really stupid mistake. I hit the brakes hard. Car did either a 540 or 720 before slamming into a fallen tree/log.

Now, since it was a Volvo I just started it back up (don't know why it stopped) and drove it home with a bent frame, destroyed front air dam, and broken Evap. Canister.

And then I put new tires on it.

Hmm....seems I did things in the wrong order.

Joe

Archived