LegacyGT.com

Protune or opensource?

a.lim

i have a fmic + vf39 setup that is going to be installed on my car very soon. i now have a dilemma. is there a huge power difference between an opensource tune and a protune? I can save so much money if I sell my AP and buy the openport 2.0 and get an opensource tune from a buddy ;) but reason why i cant pull the trigger for some reason is that everyone i keep talking to recomends getting a protune on the AP. i would like to hear from both POVs

If you're only concerned about the power difference, then keep your AP. Cobb and EcuFlash/RomRaider are just tools. The tuner is where the power comes from, not the tools.

Bear in mind that plenty of people say "pro tune" or "protune" when they mean "professional tune," regardless of whether the tuning professional uses Cobb's tools or open source tools.

Since you've already bought an AP, you might as well keep it. Download their tuning software ASAP in case they change their minds about giving it away (I doubt they will, it'd be suicide IMO, but still).

Decide out who is going to tuning your car, and find out if they have a preference.

^^ +1 but I suggest you sell your AP:

- Then pm Infamous1 (he is a great opensource tuner with mods almost identical to yours) for a tune.

or

- Go to a shop that does protunes using opensource

Either way, i would sell the AP and use that money on more mods. :)

Using the AP or not, the protune, will almost always net you more power since they can tune in real time, with a WB02.

Good luck!

Well you know how I feel :) The 07+ aren't more difficult to tune persay, they just are different from the past Subaru when it comes to the timing tables. Keep in mind to my knowledge the 07' MT still hasn't been submitted to Merchgod. Also these "everyone" folks, I would pay no attention to unless they have valid reasons for a tune on the Cobb AP vs. Opensource. I am sure none of them have any experience with tuning so you can pretty much throw there comments out the window.

Thanks Spec B ;)

and the only thing holding me back from an opensource tune is the Merchgod situation?

cause I need a tune QUICK status.. i have all my parts.. just waiting for a day to install + tune. and i think i live 10 min down the 15 fwy from you infamous :)

If you want to get real picky you can do more stuff with OS then with an AP (Pro-Tuner, AccessTuneRace, or StreetTuner).

OS stuff has access to a few tables that COBB still refuses to give us.:mad:

In all practicality the AP is a bit easier to tune due to RealTime tuning.

Both have their place.:)

i have a fmic + vf39 setup that is going to be installed on my car very soon. i now have a dilemma. is there a huge power difference between an opensource tune and a protune? I can save so much money if I sell my AP and buy the openport 2.0 and get an opensource tune from a buddy ;) but reason why i cant pull the trigger for some reason is that everyone i keep talking to recomends getting a protune on the AP. i would like to hear from both POVs

I have the same set up although Im 5eat. I sold my Ap and got an open source tune from Infamous. The car feels strong and he is a really cool guy.

I have the same set up although Im 5eat. I sold my Ap and got an open source tune from Infamous. The car feels strong and he is a really cool guy.

have you gotten your car on the dyno? what are your numbers?

Cool, tuner nut suckage! :lol:

j/k

lol, I do what I can!

When I grow up I just hope I can be half as cool as you. You are sooooo dreamy.:lol::lol::lol:

j/k You better be ready for my 20g this weekend.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

so heres the response from merchgod.

"Well, you can submit it and I will add it during the next ecu def update. I cannot add support unless I have a copy of the ROM. Not sure when the next ECU def update will be - probably in a couple of months at the earliest since the last update was only a month ago."

can anyone with the openport 2.0 cable that has a 07 5MT give him a copy of the ROM? now that my OS tune is delayed by a couple of months I may have to just get the cobb protune.

btw. where are all the 07 guys at? no one has ever came across an OS tune?

I would personally wait, your looking at $400 on top of the $700 already spent. If down the line you revert back to stock or convert to OS you are definately out whatever you pay for a dyno Protune or an Access tuner race road tune. When the defs were first release I was wondering when this would come up, then you pm'd me :redface:

I would personally wait, your looking at $400 on top of the $700 already spent. If down the line you revert back to stock or convert to OS you are definately out whatever you pay for a dyno Protune or an Access tuner race road tune. When the defs were first release I was wondering when this would come up, then you pm'd me :redface:

im not a very patient man haha especially when theres a FMIC and vf39 staring at me..

i might as well wait and save up and get a gt30 :lol:

Archived