LegacyGT.com

stumble just before full stop?

I "tuned" my wife's 2005 NA Legacy yesterday at 60,000. I.e., replaced spark plugs and air filter. (I had the battery unhooked for awhile -- to get to the plugs). Now the car seems to run fine EXCEPT when on trailing throttle just before a full stop. Then the engine stumbles and the idle drops too low for a couple of seconds. Feels like the engine is going to die for a coupe of seconds, and then it picks up normal idle. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Everything looks perfectly okay on the outside of the engine. Could I have messed up the ECU by having the battery disconnected? If so, how do I do a full reset of the ECU?

Thanks.

The same thing happens to me like if I rev my car a little, once in a while it'll dump and seem like it will stall, but then it will go back up to normal. It's been happening to me for months and it seems fine. If I were you, I would get it checked out... I simply don't have enough money.

Since the OP reset his ECU by having the battery disconnected this is probably just an ecu learning issue. Should go away over the next week or so.

I had the same thing happen to my car with an '01 EJ25 It would take about a week to learn to not do this...

But you also might check for a vac leak... especially if the car "hunts" at idle. Just let it run with the hood open and listen for air sucking... check the hose at the brake booster and there are a few more connections on the pass side of the engine that you might have bumped.

Archived