LegacyGT.com

New UP and DP without tune?

Sebastian

Been getting CEL's from what I believe is a faulty sensor in the up pipe. I know this could also signal the cat in the UP going bad, so I decided to use this as an excuse to go ahead and get a STI up pipe and to gut my DP, while I bypass the sensor.

I will be getting a Cobb AP in a few months, but want to go ahead and change my pipes. I know that without a tune I will not be getting much in performance gains with the pipes. My question is, will making these changes without tuning the car be harmful to my car in anyway? Should I hold off in modding my exhaust till I can tune for it?

From the information I gathered from trolling this site for awhile now, you should be o.k. for a little while. You might throw some CEL's without any sort of tuning or a way to delete the CELs. Could make it run lean from better flow, but I'm not sure about that last one. Hopefully someone else with a little more knowledge chimes in...

For what it's worth, I'm almost positive you can switch the UP with no problems, just the uncatted DP is what I'm not sure about...

The EGT sensor in the UP can be "fixed" with the "resistor mod". I can't recall the specifics. Do a search on "resistor mod" and you'll find it.

Edit. Sorry reading > me this morning. ;) Sounds like you've heard of this mod (in another of your threads) and that wasn't your question anyway.

You should be fine but you may need to do the resistor mod for the UP EGT sensor and you may need to do the one for the O2 sensor in the DP as well.

I never suggest modding without a tune... it just isn't worth what the result could be .... unless you have monies lying around and don't mind rebuilding a motor.

just my .02

Been getting CEL's from what I believe is a faulty sensor in the up pipe. I know this could also signal the cat in the UP going bad, so I decided to use this as an excuse to go ahead and get a STI up pipe and to gut my DP, while I bypass the sensor.

I will be getting a Cobb AP in a few months, but want to go ahead and change my pipes. I know that without a tune I will not be getting much in performance gains with the pipes. My question is, will making these changes without tuning the car be harmful to my car in anyway? Should I hold off in modding my exhaust till I can tune for it?

I wouldn't recommend it, but I also think your chance of having an issue are very low. If you must go without a tune for a while I would say dont drive hard for a week after gutting the downpipe to give the ecu time to recalibrate, after that you will be only ok until you get a tune.
^ n00bs below this line

Think I will hold off on gutting the DP till I get an AP. Sounds like it is pretty safe to go ahead and do the STI uppipe switch and resistor mod. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Everyone says the UP is a PITA to switch out. I saw a couple of brief walkthoughs on here, but does anyone know where I can find a sort of "Dummies Guide" to this. This will be the first down and dirty work I have done on this car.

Archived