LegacyGT.com

What are these?

Napping

I bought '99 Subaru Legacy SUS yesterday and picking it up later this week. Until now I had a car that doesn't have these (see pic bellow), so I never seen these before (noob alert). I assume these are some sort of silencers or vibration reducers or something along these lines. What are they really, why are there 2 of them, and what are the consequences if I remove them to put aftermarket intake? Can I re-atach them (or one of them) to aftermarket intake? Basically what do I need to know about them before taking it off?

Thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=4391&d=1225613517

So hypothetically speaking, if I install an aftermarket intake, and if I find it to be louder then I'd like, I can possibly modify that intake by attaching one of silencers to it? And may be even work out a way to add an adjuster, to be able to manually adjust the noise of intake? That sounds like an curious project. I wonder if anyone done/tried it.

OTOH, removing the (anti-)resonance chambers might confuse the flowmeter, resulting in a lean condition. That supposedly happened on some earlier n/a's...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived