LegacyGT.com

McLaren F1 sets new record

I am assuming this is the highest price ever paid for a "brand new" car. I think the record is still a '62 250 GTO at $13 million. This Mac was the car in the Park Lane Showroom in swinging London baby yeah!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/31/mclaren-f1-fetches-record-2-530-000-at-rm-london-auction/

Original Sale from the London Dealership display stand in 1997, or something, was roughly about 1.7 Million dollars, if I remember what I read...

The auction price now, was more than 4 million US dollars.

The best, least compromised, epitome of automotive craftsmanship ever built.

an LM is EXTRA rare. One of 7. Street car unrestricted engine, LeMans Short tail bodywork, wheels, and other stuff, and painted Bruce McLaren Orange...

If there was an Automotive holy grail, that would be getting pretty darn close.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/McLaren_F1_LM.jpg/800px-McLaren_F1_LM.jpg

Yeah, about the same length, and just a tad wider than a Porsche 911.

That is pretty compact compared to a lot of other supercars. Smaller than Enzo, WAY smaller than V12 Lambos, or huge Veyron.

But still a lot bigger (and more expensive) than the Ariel Atom! :D

Fun for the bucks will probably still be at the Atom!

453747.png

The comment about the McLaren clutch got me curious:

Maintenance costs on both cars are staggering, though doubtless their owners are not concerned with the shop bills. An F1 will need a new clutch every 3,000 to 6,000 miles, at a cool $12,000. Its $25,000 fuel cell needs replacing every five years. A starter motor replacement is a 90–hour job, as the engine has to be removed, and that runs $12,000. Should you break the transverse transaxle, expect a $100k repair bill.

Source

Archived