LegacyGT.com

iPod integration for Navi units?

lackskill

I have an 08 spec.B with factory nav and have been disappointed with the options for getting iPod connectivity. I was just browsing SGP and noticed this in the Impreza section. I know that they don't do a very good job of cross posting model compatibility on that site, are the 08/09 impreza and legacy stereos the same? Will this thing work with the legacy factory nav?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one. Got too many other things that I know I want/need to buy to take the chance. If I can confirm it's functionality, I'll be all over it like a fat boy on Halloween. :lol: I'm hoping a local Impreza owner will buy one and let me try it. :)

I guess the ultimate question that lackskill was alluding to was how does it work with the nav touch screen? I'm guessing only the regular playback controls work and you don't get a nice listing of playlists/artists/albums/songs similar to what you see on the ipod?

You wont have any interface with the nav screen. Bet solution, get XM or Sirius. Then run a video cable from your nav screen to the center armrest. In there, you can use the AV cables from apple to charge, and connect your iphone/ipod to the AUX port. You can also connect the video and bam, instant Cinema!

I don't use my iphone as an ipod that much unless I have no access to Sat radio. However, playing movies on road trips, makes things great for everyone!

I dunno...

The later cars have aux ports in the center box, something I would almost steal, at this point...

But I would probably keep it fairly simple, and use this: (or another equivalent brand)

http://catalog.belkin.com/images/product/F8V7058xAPL-BLK/STD1_F8V7058xAPL-BLK.jpg

Belkin Auto Kit for iPod

There is a 1/8" phone jack on the side of the power plug, with a volume adjustment (to equalize line levels) that acts like a line out.

A very short 1/8" male to male heaphone style jack cord (not included with the Belkin) would connect that directly to the aux in port in the center console box, with the power socket right next to it. Power in and audio out through one dock cable to the iPod. Then you would just use the Aux in setting on the stereo, and control the iPod itself.

Then the belkin cable can be run out through the cable niche, and provide one-cable connection to your iPod/iPhone. (I have one, and it did work in another car, with my 1st gen iPhone.)

I have a vent-mount holder that I use with my iPhone, and it isn't too bad. it moves around just a bit, but it isn't permanent, and can just be taken off. I absolutely did not want a permanent mount, but they are available. I think I got it from Best Buy for 9$...

As for video... that becomes a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and I am not all that pressed to play video from my iPhone, nor do I have an LCD in the car, aside from my wife's portable DVD player. (it has a video in port, which could probably be adapted somehow, the NAV LCD probably can be adapted, as well...)

Right now, I have a Griffin Technologies FM modulator, which I paid WAY too much money for, and am not all that impressed with. It is very static-prone, overly low-leveled (I have to turn the volume WAY up to get normal listening volumes, then the other radio stations, or CDs completely blast when I switch over, or start the car the next time.) and is just generally very limited, and cumbersome.

I thought about a Jazzy Aux in hack for the factory stereo, and that would be better, but probably twice as expensive to get working really seamlessly. Even moreso for an aftermarket JL Audio CleanSweep, or something... Maybe someday later. But that is due to the great insight that SOA had to make the stereo completely un-upgradeable, and without ANY input, for the 2005 and 2006 model years. :mad::spin::mad::spin::mad::spin::mad::mad::mad:

I dunno...

The later cars have aux ports in the center box, something I would almost steal, at this point...

But I would probably keep it fairly simple, and use this: (or another equivalent brand)

http://catalog.belkin.com/images/product/F8V7058xAPL-BLK/STD1_F8V7058xAPL-BLK.jpg

Belkin Auto Kit for iPod

There is a 1/8" phone jack on the side of the power plug, with a volume adjustment (to equalize line levels) that acts like a line out.

A very short 1/8" male to male heaphone style jack cord (not included with the Belkin) would connect that directly to the aux in port in the center console box, with the power socket right next to it. Power in and audio out through one dock cable to the iPod. Then you would just use the Aux in setting on the stereo, and control the iPod itself.

Then the belkin cable can be run out through the cable niche, and provide one-cable connection to your iPod/iPhone. (I have one, and it did work in another car, with my 1st gen iPhone.)

I have a vent-mount holder that I use with my iPhone, and it isn't too bad. it moves around just a bit, but it isn't permanent, and can just be taken off. I absolutely did not want a permanent mount, but they are available. I think I got it from Best Buy for 9$...

As for video... that becomes a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and I am not all that pressed to play video from my iPhone, nor do I have an LCD in the car, aside from my wife's portable DVD player. (it has a video in port, which could probably be adapted somehow, the NAV LCD probably can be adapted, as well...)

Right now, I have a Griffin Technologies FM modulator, which I paid WAY too much money for, and am not all that impressed with. It is very static-prone, overly low-leveled (I have to turn the volume WAY up to get normal listening volumes, then the other radio stations, or CDs completely blast when I switch over, or start the car the next time.) and is just generally very limited, and cumbersome.

I thought about a Jazzy Aux in hack for the factory stereo, and that would be better, but probably twice as expensive to get working really seamlessly. Even moreso for an aftermarket JL Audio CleanSweep, or something... Maybe someday later. But that is due to the great insight that SOA had to make the stereo completely un-upgradeable, and without ANY input, for the 2005 and 2006 model years. :mad::spin::mad::spin::mad::spin::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the input, but if I can't eventually get something that I can use to control the iPod through the factory stereo (and therefore the steering wheel controls) I'll just go aftermarket. I'm not willing to be taking my attention from the road to pick up the iPod to see what I'm doing.

BTW, that Belkin Auto Kit doesn't charge an iPhone 3G. It charges my iPod and my previous iPhone 2G.

I've been happy with my Jazzy for more than 2 years.

That's because the 3G uses a different voltage or something. I had the same problem with my old charger, had to get a new one just for the phone. :(

Archived