LegacyGT.com

Studless winter Vs. Performance winter tires

RJS5689

I run Nokian RSi in the northwest Boston area (and ski trips to NH/VT/ME). I think they are likely overkill for the conditions I see, and I will likely switch to something like the Dunlop 3D (i.e., "performance" winter) when they wear out after two more winters (4 total).

Honestly, I don't see the RSI as that much worse than an M3/D3 in the dry.

They're really damn good for such an agressive tire and I've done some pretty hard driving on them.

The issue with the RSI is $$$.

I ran the dunlop wintersport 3d's on my old c280 4matic last winter, and they were very very good. I just got a set for my legacy, you guys who got them will not be disappointed. I've run blizzaks before, and they were good, but the dunlops were as just as good in the white stuff, and much much better in dry/wet conditions.

I have kind of done the same thing but got the new Pilot Alpin PA3'S ..............They have an interesting tread design similar to their new ice tire but on the inside there is the traditional zig-zag of a snow tire.

Yeah, that is an interesting asymmetric tread design, isn't it.

The next step in tire evolution will be a directional design combined with an asymmetric design!

Archived