LegacyGT.com

First Oil Change Experience

Well the break in period is over for the L. So I decided to change the oil today. The trap door in the skidplate is pretty nice to get to the filter and the filler port is nice and tucked in.

The pan bolt came off damn smooth, looks good, new crush washer went on.

Now, the oil filter was another story. I didn't know they let Godzilla tighten them on at the factory!!!! I tried everything, strap wrench, etc and had to revert to the good old screwdriver through the side. Made a little mess but finally got it off.

Also, I noticed the Bosch filter is a little larger than the mobil 1 and stock filter. The new puralator ones have that crappy coating on them that is all over the inside of the filter so I stayed away from those. Going to have to put an order in for some subaru ones!

now it's time to play with the S# button!

There are filter sockets that fit it perfectly for about $4. With how often we need to change the oil, I bought one. I hand tighten it to firm (not tight) and then squeeze a little extra tightness into the filter (about 1/8th to 1/4 turn).

I love the LGT setup....that filter flap is awesome, and the recessed drain bolt is cool too. This is the first car where I think I'm going to pick up a fumoto valve. Make it even easier :)

Joe

i've struggled with the filter myself a couple of times. the first oil change was from the dealer then 2nd time was my fault, i jusy overtightened. first time i just kept messing with it with a strap wrench for a bit. the 2nd time i just dropped the plastic under tray, it gives you more room to work making using the strap wrench much easier.

obviously handtight all you need but taking out the undertray is a good foption or those times you eat you wheates :)

my 1st oil change on my 08' took forever. the bolt was on super tight, and the filter was worst. I drained the oil from the pan, and then I couldnt remove the filter, I went to buy a filter wrench but it was too big to fit, so I had to buy 2 -3 filter sockets and crank it off.

I did the first oil change on my '09 2.5i a week or so ago, and in the manual it showed some kind of door or cover over the oil filter.. Mine didn't have that, just the oil filter itself sorrounded by exhaust pipes. Should there be a cover there?

which oil filter did you use? the mobil 1 is the smallest filter for the legacy compared to the stock one or purolator. The purolator also isnt a bad filter, its the yellow purolator pureone filter you want to stay away from

Exactly, the yellow crap wall all over the inside of the new purolator filter. The old pureone's were ok, no fake grip crap.

I work at Bosch, so I get filters pretty cheep. Maybe i'll buy in bulk and extend the discount if people want.

Purolator immediately changed the material used on the new PureOne filters. They only had a very short run where the grip material would come off and get into the filter.

I've used 2 now with no byproducts or visible flaking despite looking into the filter, into the box the filter came in, and rubbing the filter very roughly with my callused weightlififter hands :)

PureOne is a damn nice filter easily available.

Joe

Purolator immediately changed the material used on the new PureOne filters. They only had a very short run where the grip material would come off and get into the filter.

I have a hard time trusting any product from a company stupid enough

to pull this boner !

Don't the official Subie filters (the black ones) have a cellophane seal

over the open end of the filter, so that this couldn't happen ?

Archived