LegacyGT.com

OBXT or LGT Wagon

toycarrier

Hey Guys,

I have been driving a 98 4runner for the last 2 years and want to upgrade to something a bit newer and gets better gas mileage.

Although its not something I need, I want to get a turbo wagon w/ AWD. After having a turbo car in the past, there's nothing like it.

This leaves me with either the XT or GT. I really admire the ground clearance that the OBXT offers but the LGT doesnt seem to be to bad either.

My main concern is that I will be carrying around a hitch carrier quite often and I am worried about it bottoming out pretty easily on the back of an LGT. Does anyone here use a hitch carrier on their LGT? What kind of ground clearance does it have back there?

As far as mpg go, it seems that the LGT gets a bit better gas mileage - 25vs 24 on the highway. Another thing- What are the MPG differences for a manual vs auto on the high way? Are the final drives different?

I'm having a hard time deciding :)

Thanks in advance.

Great site, thanks for the link.

I have read a few people saying they have issues with bike racks scraping out back so that is enough for me. I will be transporting some very expensive stuff on the hitch carrier so I can't have it getting slammed around.

Now the decision is on Manual or auto. I love manual and like the fact that it does a little better on the highway than the auto. Only thing is do I need it? The auto to me is better for a daily driver. I have another car (89 325is) that is my weekend fun car that I enjoy shifting around.

I am up in Morgantown WV right now and the hills make driving a manual a bit more difficult.

Still undecided though :)

The hitch will go on either....

I use a hitch mounted rack on a lowered LGT wagon. I have slightly brushed the ground once, but that was me being stupid. I go through the same place all the time and simply have to go in at a little of an angle...

Mt gets better than AT, but I don't know the amount...

:spin:

The auto to me is better for a daily driver. I have another car (89 325is) that is my weekend fun car that I enjoy shifting around.

If you buy the LGT with Manual, i have a feeling you will not be driving the 325 much anymore :)

(LGT or Outback XT)

//

Now the decision is on Manual or auto. I love manual and like the fact that it does a little better on the highway than the auto. Only thing is do I need it? The auto to me is better for a daily driver. //

The turbo seems to fit a lot better with the manual, and they're faster. If you want a manual, try the 3.0 H6, which is more tractable and only comes w/a 5EAT.

I have MR coilovers on the OBW and it is lowered about 1 1/2" from stock (but doesn't have to be). No problems scraping anything, although some of those hitch carriers project out a lot.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

If you buy the LGT with Manual, i have a feeling you will not be driving the 325 much anymore :)

(LGT or Outback XT)

The 325 has a little something under the hood- 97 m3 engine. Its a quick little car.

It may come down to what i find on the market.

This is what the hitch carrier is for by the way -

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4756/img0690jv8.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/img0690jv8.jpg/1/w640.png

Ive got an lgt wgn mt, i got 37 on the highway once :) but...im usually around 16, i live in a city in florida, always full of traffic i burn alota gas, in montana i averaged around 24 over the winter.

As for the hitch, some people say the bottom out others dont, i guess its all about how you drive the thing.

you do know of course that with LGT wagons you are looking at used only ? Given the info so far, I'd go with slightly used H6 Outback which comes with Auto tranny anyway; you've got your bimmer to play around with :)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I drove around Mo'Town for 6 years in a manual, it's a pain in a few places, but if you really enjoy the 5 speed, it's worth it. But I also didn't have the luxury of a play car either.

I have had similar cars in manual and auto and have noticed slightly better mileage with a manual, but honestly it's probably 2-3 highway, less in town (especially if your revving at the top of N Spruce St to get going :lol: ).... which when you do the math really doesn't make that much a difference.

Good luck, if I were in your shoes I go with the OBXT and put a little lift of it and have some real fun :p

I test drove both the OB xt with auto tranny and LGT wagon with 5MT. Unless you do a lot of off roading there is no comparison. My only regret in going with the LGT was that there was not many too choose from and I had no choice as to interior color which were all black.

well no one needs to convince me but OT will do some hauling in hilly area... Not too much fun with stick. Anyway, I'd say - try to find and drive both before making a decision.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived