LegacyGT.com

Brake Replacement - Best Value

LowFast

Have 56k on the stock brakes and time for at the least new pads. I know that you should turn or replace the rotors (in college on our honda I went the cheap route and only did pads without any noise or other issues).

What is the best for a daily driven non-track car. I would like better feel and stopping than stock, I love the looks of the big brake kit, I am a brake whore when it comes to these, but it is really not justifiable based on how we use the car. Any good package deals out there? I looked at the rotors yesterday, they look clean with very little scaring. Do I go pads. lines, fluid, and rotors, or just pads (fluid was changed about 25k ago). Do the calipers need a rebuid? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

The rotors may be getting low by now so it's probably worth it to replace them. Best available for a DD is OE. Couple OE rotors with Hawk HPS pads and you're golden. If you feel you want the insurance, get SS lines, as well. Either way, you may want a flush. If the calipers are good, no need for a rebuild or replacement.

^

Rotors: OEM are just fine (DBA's if you want better heat handling)

Pads: Hawk HPS

Fluid: Motul or Super Blue

How about tires? Perhaps some new sticky ones.

(you don't need lines, waste of money IMO, especially for a daily driver.)

You can get everything here...dealer that also has aftermarket parts. PM Jeremy.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98385

I have never understood the obsession with turning or replacing rotors unnecessarily. My stock rotors measured to 0.3mm of wear out of 2.0mm. They were not scored and are working fine with new HPS pads. Not a peep has come out of them over their first 3 months.

You don't know "rotors may be getting low" unless you measure.

--Lee

^

(you don't need lines, waste of money IMO, especially for a daily driver.)

You can get everything here...dealer that also has aftermarket parts. PM Jeremy.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98385

^true, new lines would be a waste of money, i wouldnt worry about the fluid either there shouldnt be any reason your fluid is bad and needs to be replaced. the writers at the ford dealer where i work always try selling brake flushes to people i cant stand it because its not necessary

Have your OEM rotors turned and buy Bendix ceramic pads from the local auto part store. For 95% of us that's fine.

I did buy Litespeed slotted front rotors but still have the bendix ceramic pads, very little dust and more then enough braking for me.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived