LegacyGT.com

Humming noise from the airbox...

Catch22ska4

Hey guys, I have a 1997 2.5GT wagon and everytime the car is running now, it seems to be making a humming noise. I popped the hood and noticed the airbox was shaking and so I popped it off and it was definitely coming from inside there. When the car turns off the sound goes too, but you can hear the sound slowly die after... Any ideas??

I would guess whoever has checked your air filter did not correctly fit the airbox back together. Check the airbox and see if there is any air getting into the box. Sometimes it makes a flutter sound when you apply the gas.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I checked the piping for debris and didn't find any. But it is still making the humming noise. It doesn't seem as limited to the airbox area now, but maybe a little quieter.

How would you check the intake silencer to see if it's loose or out?

I would guess whoever has checked your air filter did not correctly fit the airbox back together. Check the airbox and see if there is any air getting into the box. Sometimes it makes a flutter sound when you apply the gas.

What do you mean by it not being fitted back on properly? Like the plastic outer edges are not lining up?

How do you get to the intake silencer to see if it's loose or out? Would that be under the air filter?

Thanks again for the help!

What do you mean by it not being fitted back on properly? Like the plastic outer edges are not lining up?

How do you get to the intake silencer to see if it's loose or out? Would that be under the air filter?

Yes. The box should be sealed and not allow air to get in there. If you can see the air filter from the side, then it is not lined up right.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 year later...
  • I Donated
Mine does the same thing (97 LGT) with a cone filter installed. I've never been able to figure it out but everything on the intake checks out ok. If everything looks fine, I wouldn't worry about it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

How would you check the intake silencer to see if it's loose or out?

The intake resonator is located behind the bumper underneath the airbox. To get to it, you can either remove the fender which is a bit of a pain in the ass, or just remove the plastic dust cover that screws to the underside of the bumper.

I would try to reseat the filter. undo the clps holding the top of the airbox to the bottom. Remove the filter and check that it seats correctly when you reinstall it. Check the top of the airbox seals against the filter as well.

Archived