LegacyGT.com

Any thoughts on the 2005 Toyota Avalon?

My folks are looking at the 2005 Toyota Avalon. I think it's a good choice, check out the fully equipped Limited - it's got everything.

background: My folks are in their 50's and aren't looking for a sporty fast car, they want a car that offers lots of luxury, room, comfort, good gas mileage, and somewhere in the mid 30K range. I think this is a good fit.

Check it out at http://www.toyota.com/avalon/

Thoughts?

- Mike

I sell Toyota's and we just got our first one in stock today, the car is very nice and very well equiped. Although the handling is not up to the standards of our Legacy, the new 3.5L V6 is quite willing to haul the car up to speed in a big hurry. Very comfortable car, and your parents will love the smart key option if they get it.

My mom is on her like 4th Avalon. She loves them. I've driven all of them. Nothing too flashy or fancy, but definetly a solid car. The ride is smooth, snow ability is descent, I am sure they shouldn't have any problems. Good choice.

Not bad at all! Why not see if they'd like to get an Outback Sedan, LLBean, or VDC though? Big and comfy, AWD, prolly less expensive than Avalon LTD, safer, etc ;)

Otherwise, Toyota is my 2nd favorite car maker and I stand behind them just like I would Subaru. I don't doubt the Av is an awesome car, and look at that interior! No one in the price range can touch Toyota :D

Jeez that interior is impressive, almost looks better then the one in our LS430. Toyota is a great car maker and I support almost all their cars and would encourage this purchase.

Song of Post- Sublime- Doin' Time

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Jedimaster,

Actually the new Avalon has very good cup holders, but with 280hp, and 260 lb-ft of torque the new car is not as boring as you might expect. FYI the curb weight on a fully loaded Limited is 3600lbs, not the power to weight ratio of a sports car; but not shabby either.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Jedimaster,

Actually the new Avalon has very good cup holders, but with 280hp, and 260 lb-ft of torque the new car is not as boring as you might expect. FYI the curb weight on a fully loaded Limited is 3600lbs, not the power to weight ratio of a sports car; but not shabby either.

"actually"

Guest *Jedimaster*

You spelled it right. I just love it when e-experts (not saying you're one) come in and start everything with "actually,..." as if it's a voice form the heavens and we're all enlightened now :lol:

Again, not saying that's you, just reminded me. :)

Jedimaster,

I am by no means an e-expert, but I do have first hand experience with the new Avalon. I was never able to get very excited about the old car, or the current Camry for that matter; however the new V6 and the five speed auto work together to put a grin on my face. At least in a strait line...now if they could just make it handle better, add all-wheel-drive, and drop about 200lbs we'd have a very entertaining car.

Seems like the cars my folks really like is the 2005 Toyota Avalon, the Subaru Tribeca, and the Infiniti G35x.

They are NOT looking for speed or sport - they're looking for lots of luxury, lots of room, lots of comfort, good (or at least decent) gas mileage and a mid 30K price tag.

- Mike

I think your parents will find the Avalon to deliver on what they are looking for, the G35 is not significantly larger than the Legacy, and having driven both I can honestly tell you that the Avalon is a more comfortable car from a standpoint of noise vibration and harshness. Of course the G35 handles better, but that is not an issue. For around 35K they can have the limited you mentioned which will have HID's, heated and cooled seats, smart key, VSC and traction control. If navigation is desired add about 2k to be safe, but that goes for the G35 as well. Also the amount of room in the car is just sick, when I sit in the back of one; even with the front seats all the way back I still have every bit of 7-8 inches of knee room. Hell the rear seats even recline 10 degrees. And the most important feature of the car is the full size spare on the matching alloy wheel, ha ha ha.

Don't get me wrong the G35 is a very nice car, but the Avalon is not even in the same category as far as I can tell. One is a big entry level luxury car, the other is a very capable sports sedan. I wish I could tell you more about the Tribeca, perhaps someone else on the forum can weigh in on this one...

Archived